Hike suggestion please

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
snizzarf

Post by snizzarf »

Hello forum,

I'm hoping to find suggestions for a hike I want to go on with my girlfriend this coming Monday. I am moderately familiar with the San Gabriels, more so the western/Mt. Wilson part of the range, but the thing is she would like to see/hike in some light snow if possible (I realize it will be more like ice at this point).

- ideally 8-10ish miles roundtrip
- some snow around, but not enough where we need any special shoes/equipment
- something not too far in if possible, for example I assume the Little Jimmy area probably has some snow, but I'd rather not drive an hour on the 2 if I don't have to.
- nothing too strenuous - to give you an idea, I've taken her on the Winter Creek/Gabrielino/Chantry Flat loop, on Echo Mountain/Inspiration Point from the street, the Devore loop from Mt. Wilson down and back up (which was harsh for her), and she had to turn back on the Mt. Baldy Ski Hut trail.

I know that's getting pretty specific, but I'm hoping someone can come up with something.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Stone Cyn Trail is open :)
snizzarf

Post by snizzarf »

Mt. Lukens? I've considered that one before, but too low for snow isn't it?
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Icehouse Canyon up to the saddle? Then from there, you can opt for Ontario or Cucamonga to the south (might still have too much snow on the north-facing slopes) or Timber and/or Telegraph to the north.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Mt. Waterman via the service road should be fairly safe without any special gear. Still a bit of a drive up the 2 but not as far as Islip Saddle.

Trails heading up towards Mt. Islip from Crystal Lake too. The drive up the 39 takes longer than you think though.
snizzarf

Post by snizzarf »

Just wanted to give an update. We went Monday to Crystal Lake, intending to take the Islip Ridge trail, but we must have missed the turnoff or something, couldn't find it. Ended up seeing a sign for the Windy Gap trail, and took that instead. Made it up to Windy Gap where it was indeed windy and cold. Intended to head up Islip, but there seemed to be a tree down across that trail and I didn't feel comfortable with us navigating around it on the ice in tennis shoes, so we just headed back.

Thanks for the suggestions HikeUp and mcphersonm80. As far as Icehouse Canyon, have read quite a bit about that area and definitely plan to check it out sometime. Thanks guys.
FiveCharlie

Post by FiveCharlie »

you'll have a lot more options if we get some rain on Friday.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

snizzarf wrote: Just wanted to give an update. We went Monday to Crystal Lake, intending to take the Islip Ridge trail, but we must have missed the turnoff or something, couldn't find it. Ended up seeing a sign for the Windy Gap trail, and took that instead. Made it up to Windy Gap where it was indeed windy and cold. Intended to head up Islip, but there seemed to be a tree down across that trail and I didn't feel comfortable with us navigating around it on the ice in tennis shoes, so we just headed back.

Thanks for the suggestions HikeUp and mcphersonm80. As far as Icehouse Canyon, have read quite a bit about that area and definitely plan to check it out sometime. Thanks guys.
Invest in some boots or trail shoes, ok? You'll be glad you did.