Reccomended hikes out of lytle creek yellow post sites

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

We are heading up to camp fri-sun at the yellow post sites in lytle creek, possibly up cold water canyon. Never been up there before and looking for some day hike reccomendations. i have a san g map and shows the baldy notch trail. what elev is the snow at, we don't have to make it to the top of anything if there is snow in the way, just looking for a nice day hike with views but summits would be awesome if possible.

thanks
longcut

Post by longcut »

my guess is the baldy notch trail will be no issue at all. its all fireroad and the trails are pretty clear up there right now, i doubt it will be an issue. a more interesting but slightly harder hike would be the trail from Middle fork lytle creek up to icehouse saddle. seem to recall its like 10miles round trip and with the old layer of snow its likely all nicely trampled for you to do it in plain shoes. i would guess you could make it to timber peak from there no problem making this a 13mile round trip, depends on your comfort in light snow.

https://eispiraten.com/a ... _2383.html

have fun!
tarol

Post by tarol »

Coldwater Canyon - you'll definitely need 4wd and the road junction is currently unsigned - so bring a good topo map.

The backside is quite icy right now so any hiking up high I would recommend microspikes.

If you camp at Gobbler's Knob you can hike on the PCT.

My favorite Yellow Post sites up there are in Paiute Canyon.

Have fun :)
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

thanks for the info.

we ended up not camping at lytle creek because when we got there the ranger said no camp fires due to winds, and we were with my g/f and friends g/f so they wanted a fire, and whats camping without a fire anyways. we ended up going to silverwood lake campgrounds and it was pretty much empty but had to pay a fee. we both have jeeps so saturday did some offraoding up 2nx17 off the pilot rock fire road, i then headed to big bear and did some offroading in the snow from green valley lake on 3n16 to holcomb valley camp and camped in the snow. was a warm 9 degress sunday morning :).