20080515 West Fork Bear Creek

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

This was to be my recon/scout of the south sections of Twin Peaks. From what I could tell on this trip, it feels like it's more work than it's worth, though I didn't go so far as to really see the south face. The West Fork runs south of Twin Peaks, and looks OK on Google Earth and the map, but has steep walls either side. There is some BEAUTIFUL pink granite there, which doesn't really seem to belong here. :lol: Lots of large ferns that look like New Zealand Treeferns.

Let's tally up the wildlife encounters:
-1x Black Bear
-1x Baby Rattlesnake
-1x Domesticated dog (Pitbull), with owner (friendly)
-1x Badass Salamander or Newt (His name is now Gingrich)!
-239762893569812571837598157981751x tiny flies that look like Fruit Flies (I killed many of them)
-80 bazillion x Crane Flies (those giant-mosquito-lookin' guys)
-3-4x Millipedes

The bear scared the shit out of me, so I booked it back and figured-8'ed to set up a counter-ambush. 8) I didn't see him again, but talked with a guy shortly who saw it.

Overall, left parking lot at 0555, made it back at 1233 or so. Thought I'd be back at 1300, so I went faster going back, as usual.

I might also add that my new camera (which is insanely badass), is an Olympus 1030 SW. Waterproof to 33ft... freeze and drop resistant and a buncha other things. It will last a bit longer, I hope! Watch, I'll lose it.

Pictures with the rest of the info:
Millipede numba wun, on the road to Bear Creek. I had an African Giant Millipede a few years ago. His name was Pete. lulz.

Main Campground with TRASH!

My only views of the final objective.

Number two, in West Fork.

West Fork.

Maybe some Canyoneers can enlighten me... this doesn't look like typical rope. Not nylon, no sheath. Hemp?

Baby Rattler

Salamander or Newt! Really cool, with some shots taken underwater. I have a video as well.

Cow Killer (AKA Velvet Ant, a wingless wasp). THey are supposed to feel as painful as to be capable of killing cattle, hence the name. I had tons of these in the hills of Diamond Bar and CHino Hills, where I hiked as a wee lad. I've not been stung by one, and I intend to keep it that way! They can also be gold and black (Ranger Ants!).

Cool mastadon-tree. There's a bee hive in its' mouth.

Underwater pics

Inside a waterfall

Draw heading up towards Little Mermaid Peak (or subpeak)

Our Lord's Candle on the way out.

IDENTIFICATION TIME

WTF is this:

WTF are these little creatures?

Video later on. GOtta put it all together and edit it up and such.

Learned this: Do Triplet Rocks from the NORTH! :lol:

Yesterday, wanted to try Smith Mountain from a new perspective that required some gear. Forgot that R39 was closed, and i didn't feel like walking. I figured I could go check on the fire status near Baldy, and possibly do some climbing around Sugarloaf Peak. That was a no-go.

Burrito Peak South Face

Road closed (R39) just north of West Fork lot. Please do not park here. My Honda Legend had all of its' windows broken out with rocks here in April 2006.

Glendora Mountain Road, and Glendora Ridge Road closed.

Glendora Ridge Road. An awesome road. Photo from a while ago.

So, for you downhill skateboard dudes, and bicyclists, now is the time to go ride. No cars to worry about.

VIDEO (Salamander):
Doug Forbes

Post by Doug Forbes »

Taco: Great TR & Photos....I especially enjoyed the underwater shots & salamander video, very cool (and seeing a Black Bear!). That was a California Newt, used to be more common in the front range than now - Spring is their time to come out of the forest and mate (they spend some of their time in the leaf litter). Sometimes in the Arroyo Seco you can see them crossing trails on their journeys.

Yup, maybe approach from the north is the ticket....I've descended from Twin Peaks east summit about 500' or so and it looks like a good scramble....OOOHH, do we see a grand loop?: Waterman/Twin/Triplets/Bear Canyon/39/Windy Gap/PCT/Buckhorn.......in winter......:shock:

Hedgehog
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

HEY TACO! Why didn't you take a pic of the bear? lol. :lol:

And I thought we were supposed to leave the millipede's in the wild. Why did you put it in this video?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Taco-

That would be California Newt, my friend. They usually evacuate the streams at this time of year. Cool camera.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Great trip....thats a tiresome hike and you made it in great time. It looks like you passed by the river's turn for Twin Peaks and were heading towards the headwall of Chileno canyon.....of course Triplet creek as well which was way before the WF turns north. As for that rope, what is its status? I lost it at such a conspicuous place? I looked all over for that trash...hmm....let me if it was left behind&Ill fetch it soon enough and retire it....its 150ft of semi-static 9.5mm 3-strand polyester....its not for rappelling on...consider it a high strength handline.

Where did you encounter the bear?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Doug, I'm up for it if I have one other volunteer. I'll do anything. Sorta. Sounds like an interesting loop. Had it been winter, there's a possible route up the West Face of Islip that would be very interesting. Gain Windy Gap the fun way.

Fight On.... Prodigy makes some wierd vijjas... :lol:

Mike, thanks! I've editted the video details. His name is now Gingrich. 8)

AW, the rope is just dirty. I imagine it's in OK condition. It's right at the fork with the canyon that heads to Triplet Rocks. I took it off the rocks and put it in the brush to make it a tad less visible. Looks about the diameter you said.

I was heading towards the Chileno Canyon Headwall as you said... good canyon?

BTW, saw the bear about 3/4 mile after the wilderness sign, as my best guess. There is a trail crossing where you move through a stand of very young Alder trees, which open immediately to water and rocks.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

recently, Saw Pk3300 of Big Mermaid from the hwy 2. Also saw Little Mermaid pk and canyon X of the west ridge. I wouldnt be surprised if Chileno has ever been travelled. I have sneaked into the exit(@WF SG River) and it a quaint place to be during the winter. Summertime sucks in Chileno canyon...or as I think of it in my mind, Chili Rieno or whatever that mexican dish is spelled. Anyways, had you completed the loop that would have been one of the hardest hikes around, no question.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sounds like a plan. I'm up for it this weekend, if ya wanna give that a shot! 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:IDENTIFICATION TIME

WTF is this:
Humbolt's Tiger Lily, my favorite native flower in all of Southern California (some of the stuff in the Sierra is pretty cool too).

COOL underwater pix!

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Harumph, thanks again Jeem!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Olympus 1030 SW? Hmm. I may have to check that our since my camera went swimming in Devils's Canyon recently. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I've got a few underwater videos I've taken with it. I'll link the next one soon, as I'm uploading it right now. It's been really good so far.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Jim,

Vijja:

Works great underwater.

I have not yet tested the drop-from-6.6ft deal (don't plan on it), or the freezing thing. It's only been used in warm weather, with the lowest temp being something in the 30's near Mt Langley.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Um, nice. :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

:lol: