Baldy December 8

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

The weekly walk was a little higher than usual, headed up to Mt Baldy. That was a last-minute decision, I had planned for Ontario Peak but changed to Baldy later. I don't usually drive my car so I forgot my adventure pass and had to use the ski lift parking lot. Because of that and the fact it was my gf's first time up there we rode the lift. It was a brisk 42 degrees riding up the shady canyon, but the sun at the top felt great.
This is a pretty straightforward hike, as regular readers already know the route and details... Got to the summit at 12:15, I was shocked that only seven people were there and the crowd never got real big. We were above the clouds, could see Catalina and San Clemente islands barely poking up above the ocean cover. By the time we got back down it was just hazy so it was neat to see things like that. Had lunch at The Notch on the way down, replenishing some of the calories burned.

Camera was in the truck so all the pics are via iPhone.

Walked up the ski run, I think it's called Turkey Shoot.

I scrambled up the little ridge to get this view towards the ocean.

Backbone going up.

First peek at the peak.

Not very many people on top when we arrived. And the rock shelters were about knee-high.

Summit shot. I seldom take these any more but it was her first trip up there.

Cross canyon view of Baden-Powell.

Really clear day up high, hazy by the time we got back to The Notch.

Backbone on the way down.

Reward. Bacon Bleu burger and a couple of beers.

Riding down the lift.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Thanks for posting this Jeff --- especially this shot! Never get tired of seeing this angle of the back bone...

Speaking of cool shots...

Plus food and beer, now that's a hike :!:
Bonan

Post by Bonan »

After walking up that ski run once, I decided to take the service roads from then on.
What do most people do, walk up the runs, or walk the roads?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I've only walked down the ski run under Chair 1, it's a scree-fest. Don't think I would like to walk up it! And the boring fire road down from the Notch is the only place in the SanG mountains that I'll put on some tunes...
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
mmo02old1

Post by mmo02old1 »

Look so dangerous, admire your courage.