Goat to Rim and Wilson in between

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

A stunning Sunday day in the weather department and nary a long hike in weeks, sent me running towards my old stand-by Mt. Wilson which I've hiked almost 20 times. I've been using the Goat trail to get up to Mt. Wilson a couple of times since it is the only route that allows you some solitary time. The route starts at Chantry Flats and follows the San Olene Fire Road up past the turn-off to Hoegee and to the Upper Parking Lot (not used). The actual Goat trail starts at the far end of this lot behind a building. One person got it into their head to call this firebreak climb the Goat Trail and it even has a Facebook link. The actual Goat is a ridge climb versus taking the fireroad around a very long switchback. Once you reconnect with the fireroad you've completed the Goat Trail. From here you jog to the left following the fireroad until you can re-access the ridge. Alternately you could go to the end of the fireroad and access the ridge from the N-S trending ridge.

This ridge follows a W/E direction, connects to the N/S ridge and then makes a turn towards a more W/E direction once again. This route mileage wise is the quickest route to Wilson via the SGV but the most inefficient with this ridge having little net gain and many steep ups and downs. The final section of the ridge used to be a secondary route for bikers on the Winter Creek Trail and though not used for this anymore, does have switchbacks in the steepest section heading to the left if you prefer. You finally get to the bench that marks the Winter Creek and Little Santa Anita trail junction.

From here it is the standard route up to the top of Mt. Wilson. At the top near the pavilion interesting artwork displaying the constellation Virgo has been installed. I am not sure if it will withstand a winter storm however so its placing seems curious and hopefully temporary.

From here I dropped down the other side of the Pavilion and jumped on the Rim trail. This has been a favorite of mine for a while, it has always had a rough feel to it that makes it more enjoyable then other trails. I had read that the trail had gone to pot but apparently work has been done on it as I found few areas that felt uncomfortable or different prior to the fire. The narrowest sections are still near the top and there are more rocks and uneven surface but not enough to really feel too different. I also did not notice any vegetation crowding the trail other then some Poodledog in some spots. I noticed only one downed tree. This route had been popular among bikers and the most recent activity on the trail appeared to be bikers.

From Newcomb Pass I jogged down to the Big Santa Anita. This trail is in solid shape and all downed trees have been removed or cut. I did not see a person on the Goat or the entire section from Wilson back to Big Santa Anita. From here it was a leisure hike back to the car. the whole hike was about 15-16 miles with somewhere around 4,500-5,000 feet gain in 5 hours and 40 minutes. For the ridge hiking, wear long pants as there is some bushy sections to get through. This ridge is also completely exposed so would not make for a good summer route.