Gould Mesa swimmming hole

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

How has it stood up to the possible sedimentary flows since the station fire? Is it low due to dry season? I stayed at could mesa one summer for 2 weeks and fell in love with tha swimming hole. I want to go up with a crow bar and replace any large rocks to improve the depth of it.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Don't know where you're talking about. But if it's like every other canyon affected by the fire, you'd have better luck with a shovel than a crowbar.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Rudy, I haven't been down there in about a year or so, but I know the spot. It's probably close to 'normal' now as far as the hole itself, but low from drought. There will be running water at least. The shortest way down is via the fire road from the start of ACH, rather than starting near JPL.
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

Cougarmagic the ACH road...ive been down it one night. It's a super short way to Gould Mesa camp. Yup.
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

Was at Gould Mesa camp today and the swimming Hole which used to be four to five feet deep is now ankle deep due to sedimentary fill! oh how the mountains change in an instant sometimes.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

The former camp host Barry (aka "Bear") used to keep it scooped out to gather water for his horse, Starfire. But he hasn't lived there in quite a few years. It used to be fairly deep and populated with trout that would eat from your hand.