Finally, Olancha Peak

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Finally, I was able to tag Olancha Peak, which had been on my to do list for years, there was always a reason that stopped me, but, on 09/08/12 with a free Saturday Max and I drove up to Sage Flat Trailhead to start out at 5am. The first couple of miles were slow going because the trail is sandy with a lot of rocks. After that things improve and once over Olancha Pass it is really good going. The trail runs along side summit Meadow for a mile or so then cuts into the forest, past a Wranglers camp. (With a huge fire pit, table and various tools) through Bear trap Meadow and joins up with the PCT heading North to Gomez Meadow or South to Monache Meadow. Heading north through some beautiful scenery, we could see the South fork of the Kern river miles below snaking its way through the meadows, presently, through the tree tops Olancha Peak’s dominating summit came into view. Here at about 10,400 feet we left the trail, picking our way through the trees to ascend the boulder field (that must be at least 1000 feet) to reach the 12,120’ summit at about 1.30pm. The views were outstanding, and the weather favored us long enough to take some pics, and sign the register before heading back down. On the way back the only water source I noticed was just after Brush Meadow(indicated on the map as a spring/seep) where we filtered some much needed water. The rain was falling constantly now as we headed back down Olancha Pass to the trailhead arriving at 6.15pm. All in all this was a wonderful hike, I’m guessing just over 6000’ elevation gain and about 21 miles round trip, definitely worth the drive from LA

Pics : http://philbrown.smugmug.com/Other/Olan ... &k=x9kxVvP

Max on Olancha's boulder field

Me on the summit - piece of cake
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

hey phil, nice job! was the entire trail class 1 or would you consider bouldering and that kind of thing necessary for parts of it?
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Hey Mattcav, The trail is pretty easy until the last thousand foot up to the summit, which is all bouldering, can't see any way to avoid that section so its a good idea to save some gatorade for the final push.