Cucamonga Peak June 23

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

June 23, 2012
After visiting Baldy for the sunset on Friday, I got this wild idea to go up Cucamonga Peak on Saturday. I reached the (full) parking area at 7:45 and was on the trail less than five minutes later. Not many families at the creek yet, but definitely a lot of people on the trail. I found myself behind a couple of groups on the way but managed to get around all of them. I reached Icehouse Saddle in about 1:45, and hung out there in the cool breeze for 10 minutes - chatted with a guy about hiking Whitney from the west side, which I'd like to do later this year. I hustled out to get ahead of another group, and found myself walking pretty fast because they were very loud and the guy in front had an annoying laugh. I was thinking that noise is just another form of pollution that spoils the mountain experience for all of us. When I reached the summit, no surprise, another crowd. So I walked over and sat on the big rocks, dangling my feet over the side. From there it feels like the edge of the world, with just voices around instead of people. Anyway, after a snack and about 30 minutes of scenery I took off down the trail. I was inspired by everyday's Baldy adventure so I actually did some trail running on the way down. Well for me it's more like trail shuffling but you get the idea. Made it to the trailhead in a total of 2:10 for the 6.1 miles which I thought was pretty good. A few people were cutting switchbacks so I yelled at a guy and then shook my finger at him when I went by again. Passed up the Baldy Fire Dept Steak Fry and ate at the Lodge instead, then went home for my chocolate milk recovery drink.

Some pics and memories:

Stream is nice in the morning light.

Thought I was in the bbq line, 15 people took off just in front of me here.

Visitor at Icehouse Saddle.

Really windy at this saddle and all along the west side of CP.

Almost there - no sign anymore.

Switchbacks? We don't need no stinking switchbacks! This part is always hard.

Registration. I didn't sign - 18 people crowded around this spot.

Nice to hang out. Great view here.

Lunch at the Lodge.

As always, a great day in the mountains.

Total miles: 12.2
Total time: 6:15 including breaks
Elevation gain: Approximately 4300 feet
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

oh boy that sandwhich looks good. Nice trip report, we are doing San G this weekend and then Baldy and Cucamonga, hopefully with less crowds.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice. Love that first pic of the creek.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

"we are doing San G this weekend and then Baldy and Cucamonga, hopefully with less crowds."

Yeah, if you want to beat the crowds show up real early. Parking lot is full by about 7:15 on weekends. Of course then you just have to deal with them on the way down. Have fun and post a report - I'd like to see what San G looks like now!
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Sounds like the crowds were greater on Saturday than on Sunday -- there were only three people at the Cucamonga summit register when I was there. The extra amount of litter I saw on Sunday in Icehouse Canyon is an unfortunate consequence of the trail's popularity. Also, I've never eaten at Baldy Lodge, but judging from that delicious pic, now I can't not avoid desisting from refusing to not go there.