Gabrieleno Trail, Chantry Flats to Switzer's 6/15-6/17/12

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Took a trip that I have been wanting to do since before the Station Fire; The Gabrieleno Trail, or what of it you can hike continuously, which for me was Chantry Flats to Switzers Picnic area.
Rob at the Trailhead by Robnokshus, on Flickr
My wife and daughter saw me off from Chantry Flats at 10:15 Friday morning. The pack train was departing Adam's Pack Station around the same time. I passed them around where the paved road turns to dirt.
Pack train heading up Big Santa Anita Canyon by Robnokshus, on Flickr
Pavement ends by Robnokshus, on Flickr

Not a lot of people in the Canyon at this time on a Friday. One group of young guys with backpacks had started a few minutes ahead of me but I didn't see them at Spruce Grove so I figured they must have gone to Hoegee's. I saw fewer than 6 people from the falls to Sturtevant Camp, where I stopped and had lunch. An older Asian couple were there as well and it was truly delightful when she softly started singing. The quiet and the breezes and birds and this woman singing quietly behind me made for a sublime lunchtime experience well exceding the humble reach of my PB&J sandwich.
IMAG0349 by Robnokshus, on Flickr
3-3/4 miles to go for the day by Robnokshus, on Flickr
Camp Sturtevant by Robnokshus, on Flickr

After refilling the bladder from the handy Sturtevant drinking fountain it was time to head to Newcomb Pass. This was my first time on this trail and I found it most enjoyable. The views are great and it's just nice to hike Front Range country like this that didn't burn during the Station Fire. Plenty of shady spots to rest in on the way up and the trail is in very good condition. Topped out at Newcomb Pass around 2p. Didn't linger long due to the increasing ferocity of the bugs and dropped down as fast as I could to Devore Trail Camp.
Looking back towards Arcadia by Robnokshus, on Flickr
Big-ass yucca! by Robnokshus, on Flickr
Almost to the top... by Robnokshus, on Flickr
IMAG0362 by Robnokshus, on Flickr
Newcomb Pass by Robnokshus, on Flickr
As quickly as possible, I rinsed myself off in the river (LOTS of poison oak) and then vigorously applied the Jungle Juice and threw the bug netting over my ball cap. The bugs would prove to be more or less relentless during daylight hours, but the bug hat and the DEET did their jobs as best they could. Devore Trail Camp has to be one of the nicest campsites in the San Gabriels, at least that i've seen. It was spacious with what appeared to be about 6 campsites, 5 with fire rings, including one across the river. Since no-one else was there, I took the big site with the nice flat tent area in the center of the CG. Fire wood was close and plentiful and the river being adjacent to camp made getting water easy. As luck would have it, I would wind up having the campground all to myself both Friday AND Saturday nights!

IMAG0366 by Robnokshus, on Flickr
Devore Campsite 3 by Robnokshus, on Flickr
Devore Campsie 4 by Robnokshus, on FlickrImage
IMAG0374 by Robnokshus, on FlickrImage
River at Devore Campsite 1 by Robnokshus, on Flickr
Me and my campfire (to keep the bugs away!) by Robnokshus, on Flickr

Spent Saturday by the river; fished a little (no luck and they were pretty small anyway) swam around and sunned on the rocks, meditated, and just chilled. It was wonderful. Started a fire a little earlier than the day before to try and chase the bugs away (limited success) and made some more backcountry quesadillas! Delish! Once the sun set the bugs went off to where ever they go, and it was another splendid night of frog songs around the campfire with the tower lights from Mt. Wilson, flashing red through the trees.

Back country quesadillas! by Robnokshus, on Flickr

Broke camp and hit the trail by 8:30 on Sunday morning. Had told the family that I would be at Switzers by 4p so wanted to make sure that i had plenty of time. Bade farewell to pretty little Devore and sauntered off to West Fork CG a lovely 1.1 miles upstream. This section of trail is also in great shape and possibly the prettiest stretch in the canyon. It follows the West Fork, crossing it several times. There are a number of pretty pools perfect for cooling off on a hot summer day. I stopped briefly at West Fork CG where I spoke with Andy, who was camped with some new backpackers. He mentioned that he had been up in the area Memorial weekend and had also had Devore Camp all to himself! Amazing! Meanwhile, West Fork and Valley Forge had numerous folk and Boy Scouts camping there. Make a note: if it's solitude you seek, head for Devore. After inquiring about the condition of the trail between West Fork and Valley Forge, I elected to take the road, which runs along the river for about half way before climbing up the north side of the canyon. From up here I heard some rockfall and was able to spy a trail crew working on the trail between WF and VF on the ridge across the way.
Towers and Trail Crews by Robnokshus, on Flickr

Walking into Valley Forge around 10:30 the camp was quiet but inhabited. Tents and hammocks filled with sleeping scouts. I rested for a bit and then started up the trail to Red Box, criss-crossing the stream and stopping once for water. Unlike Big Santa Anita Canyon or Trail Canyon, I have never seen anyone at any of the cabins along this trail. The Tiger Lillies are blooming like crazy right now!
Rustic Cabin along Gabrieleno Trail by Robnokshus, on Flickr
Tiger Lillies by Robnokshus, on Flickr

I topped out at Red Box around 1pm (not bad for an old guy) and ate the last of my food and drank a bunch of water. I now had the final leg of my trip ahead of me; the all sun downhill 4.5 mile trek to Switzers. Oh, and let's add one more deviant twist... you must traverse an ocean of Poodle Dog Bush! I had considered calling it a hike at Red Box during my trip planning, but I really wanted to do as much of the Gabrieleno Trail as I possibly could, so I made up my mind I was going to do this if for no other reason but to say that I had. So, after a nice rest and watering at Red Box, I started down the final leg of the trail. The first stretch is pretty nice. There are some big trees and the trail switches back down through a nice foresty stretch. It is obvious that some recent trail work has gone on on this stretch, in fact the whole stretch, from Red Box to Switzer's is in great shape. Hats off to the people who toiled in the hot sun on this trail! Thank you! The shady stuff ends quickly enough and then it's just a hot slog through charred skeletal chaparral and friendly waves of Poodle Dog. If you have the slightest aversion to Poodle Dog, DO NOT hike this trail. If you are not open to being flagrantly romanced by this insidious shrubbery, stay away! In some places it grows like an arbor next to and over the trail. It wraps around your neck, smacks you in the face, goes under your arms, between your legs and generally touches you inappropriately. A lot.
S Turn on Angeles Crest below Red Box by Robnokshus, on Flickr
Ooodles Of Poodle by Robnokshus, on Flickr

Eventually your Turricula death march comes to an end. In a most abrupt manor, Switzer's materializes out of the charred alien landscape and you are enveloped by the cool green environs of the picnic area. I was fortunate to find a table near the bridge that had recently been vacated and I dropped my pack and went straight for the stream. I rinsed off, soaked my feet in the cool waters and pumped some water for my last bit of gatorade. By the time I had cooled off, changed shirts and hydrated, my family arrived and joined me at the table bearing a cooler of "Frosty Beverages" and a McDouble! Best. Family. Ever! I opened some gifts that they brought me (Father's Day) savored my beverages and snack and then we piled into the car and headed off down the hill where my son treated us all to a nice Father's Day dinner.

Switzer's by Robnokshus, on FlickrImage
Father's Day at Switzers by Robnokshus, on Flickr

It was a great trip and I enjoyed getting to see a lot of new country and discovering Devore Trail Camp (I will be back!).

I will also never need to hike from Red Box to Switzer's again!

Thanks Robbin! Thanks kids, for a great Father's Day!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice TR. And I think I know where I'll be hiking Saturday (Red Box down to Valley Forge).

Been thinking about Trail Canyon too, but not sure if I'm ready to be that depressed.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

robnokshus wrote: ...made for a sublime lunchtime experience well exceding the humble reach of my PB&J sandwich.
Where the hell else could you read this at?

Must say your report of trail conditions between Devore and Red Box contrasts with recent reports of overgrown and hard to follow. Maybe some maintenance has occured - good news!
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Must say your report of trail conditions between Devore and Red Box contrasts with recent reports of overgrown and hard to follow. Maybe some maintenance has occured - good news!
Devore to West Fork is in great condition but from West Fork to Valley Forge I took the road. There were trail crews working that section of the trail though (WF to VF), so it's getting better all the time.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Really enjoyed your TR. Very cool how your fam welcomed you back with Father's Day gifts.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Very nice report, thanks for posting it!
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

That is a wonderful report. The West Fork is a beautiful area where I too often hike.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Nice report. Never been to that area so it's good to see pics and associated description.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda