San Gabriel Mountains -- Peaks Above 8,000'

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Because inquiring minds want to know. :wink:

HJ

Code: Select all

Name             	   Elevation 
1    Mount San Antonio   	10064 
2    West Baldy   			 9988 
3    Pine Mountain    		9648 
4    Dawson Peak   			9575 
5    Mount Harwood   		 9552 
6    Mount Baden-Powell  	9399 
7    Throop Peak   			9138 
8    Mount Burnham   		 8997 
9    Telegraph Peak   		8985 
10   Cucamonga Peak   		8889 
11   Mount Hawkins   		 8850 
12   Ontario Peak   		  8693 
13   Etiwanda Peak	   	 8662 
14   Thunder Mountain   	 8587 
15   Wright Mountain	     8505 
16   Middle Hawkins Peak    8505 
17   Bighorn Peak   		  8441 
18   Mount Lewis   			8396 
19   Timber Mountain   	  8303 
20   Mount Islip   			8250 
21   Mount Williamson    	8244 
22   Waterman Mountain   	8038 
23   Iron Mountain   		 8007
Breabonnie

Post by Breabonnie »

That's a good list. Thanks for sharing.

I really like hiking the "Mt Baldy" or "Mt San Antonio" peak via the ski lift (short cut) and then Devil's backbone trail. Its only 6.4 miles round trip but still quite a workout at this high elevation when you are gaining a couple thousand feet in just 3.2 miles to the top. I am a photography bug and love taking photos on these scenic trails with such fantastic views.

Hopefully very soon (Perhaps this Saturday) I plan to take the ski lift up to start the 'Three Tee's" trail and head the opposite direction. Hitting Thunder Mt. peak, Telegraph peak and Timber Mt. Peaks all in one hike and then head back to the ski lift. I think that makes it about a 9 mile round trip. Coupons for the ski lift can be found online at a couple of sites to save money. But its always changing so just check periodically.

http://www.getfreeticketshere.com/
www.mtbaldyskilifts.com

Have a great fun and safe summer ya'all.

:wink:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

I have work to do HJ, I've not made it to three of those, Waterman, Williamson and Lewis - oh no, what's a hiker to do - plan a trip to do all three in a day maybe :D

Something in the fall when temp's cool out, anyone sick enough to join me :?: :shock: :roll:
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Cheers! Thanks for putting this up.
arocknoid

Post by arocknoid »

Thanks for the list, Jim. How have I never even heard of Mt. Lewis? Ah'm ignernt, eh?

Like Patrick, I have a few to go --Lewis and Burnham for sure, at least. And some I have not hiked in so many years that your list compels a revisit.

Now if only the schedule will accommodate such wreck-reating, hah..

Breabonnie: I did the Five Ts trail on a weekday about ten days ago, when the Mt. Baldy lift is not running (open only on weekends for spring/summer). Up Register Ridge, across Devil's BB to the 3 Ts trail. Out and back, you'll have five peaks, although lots of folks bypass the 1/4 mile leg to the summit of Telegraph, which has the best views of all.

Empty trails on weekdays, and no worries to hike down the trail below the lift. The fire road trail is dreary boredom. If you go on the weekend, the lift will give you more options for time management, and more time on the trail itself. Lift plus 5 Ts is a bit more of a workout than up-down Baldy itself, with more varied terrain and views, and fewer people on the weekend. (with any luck you got a $99 annual pass awhile ago, perhaps..) Plus you avoid the crowds in IHC, and currently also avoid those vexatious small flies which like to fly into one's eyes, nose, mouth and ears.

kind regards,
arocknoid
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I see a summer to do list! Thanks HJ :)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

lilbitmo wrote: I have work to do HJ, I've not made it to three of those, Waterman, Williamson and Lewis - oh no, what's a hiker to do - plan a trip to do all three in a day maybe :D

Something in the fall when temp's cool out, anyone sick enough to join me :?: :shock: :roll:
There you go, all mapped out for you, Patrick.

I actually don't think it would be that bad. Take the service road up to Waterman. From W'man, head east along the ridge. Stay on the ridge if you like XC or somewhere in there drop down to the highway (which is the current route of the PCT given the Frog Closure). From the highway, ascend the PCT up the flanks of Williamson, taking the short side trip to Williamson's summit. From W'son, continue east on the PCT. If you zoom in, you'll see that there's a trail from Throop down to Dawson Saddle. From Dawson Saddle, take the jaunt up to Lewis. If you use a car shuttle, I really don't think it would be all that bad.

HJ
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

19/23 ain't too bad 8)

I never in a million years would have guessed Wright Mountain as being the highest peak I've yet to hike in the SGs...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mcphersonm80 wrote: 19/23 ain't too bad 8)

I never in a million years would have guessed Wright Mountain as being the highest peak I've yet to hike in the SGs...
Wright is kind of a big nothing. It's like walking on a whale's back. There's no distinct peak. Interesting area though, and you can throw Wright in as you do Pine and Dawson which are very interesting peaks. The views from Pine are particularly good.

HJ