Eclipse on Baldy and San Antonio Ridge - 5/20-21/2012

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

There were only a handful of people up there (10 or so) and four of us stayed the night (three in my group, one solo). Perfect conditions, if you've never seen sunset or sunrise on Baldy, you're missing out. Windy overnight, but that's to be expected.

Day one was straight-forward, climbed up the Ski Hut route with extremely heavy packs and enjoyed the eclipse.

Day two we decided to see what all the fuss was about regarding San Antonio Ridge. We traversed all the way to the notches, where things get real technical and crumbly. Lacking the required skills, sufficient water, and complete insanity, we made the wise decision to turn back.

Regarding the route, if you ever want to try it, it's relatively easy to follow, like most ridges. However, it's unforgivingly steep, a lot longer than it looks, completely waterless, and overgrown with extremely sharp Whitethorn to a ridiculous degree.

The Eclipse. Held my camera up to my eclipse glasses with surprisingly good results.

Enjoying the View

Sunset over the San Gabriels

What a way to start a new day.

Iron looks so small and unassuming from up here.

San Antonio Ridge

Gunsight Notch. That rock literally crumbles like soda crackers.

Mount Baldy from San Antonio Ridge

Many more photos here:

Eclipse on Baldy - http://www.flickr.com/photos/wattifoto/ ... 853722260/

San Antonio Ridge - http://www.flickr.com/photos/wattifoto/ ... 853714458/
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Amazing pictures...thanks!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

spectacular...at least by San Gabriel standards. Its on my to do list somewhere...hehe.
tarol

Post by tarol »

great pics!