Baldy loop

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

May 13
Went up Register Ridge and down Baldy Bowl trail today. Past the very pungent outhouse at 8:55, then took the two detours in order to get to RR. Gotta say, that early part is brutal in the morning, really need to hit the trail about 6:00am this part of the year. Once the sun clears the Telegraph ridge it's just plain hot!
Thought about visiting Harwood but my out-of-shape legs disagreed so I just went up to Baldy. I counted 32 people when I reached the summit so I hung out and chatted up a few people. Views were OK, I could see SanG and SanJ through the haze, but the ocean was completely clouded over.
Is it just me or is the trail from there to the ridge just a piece of crap scree-fest? I haven't been on that trail since October but I was sliding all over the place on the way down. TGF trekking poles..... It was nice to refill at the stream passing the hut, I was almost out of water by then.
Finally made it back around 3:00, my thermometer was reading about 85 degrees in the sun while coming down. A couple guys mentioned rattlesnakes in different areas but I didn't see or hear any.
And by the way, it's an awesome drive right now with all the yellow and purple flowers blooming alongside the road.

Anyway, just another great day in the mountains. A few pics below:

Water flowing in San Antonio falls.

Looking over towards Telegraph, Cucamonga and Ontario Peaks.

A few people on the Bear Flat trail. I've heard this section called The Narrows and West Backbone.

Almost to the Backbone trail. It was pleasant in the trees, but you Mr Scree are not my friend today.

Looking over the Bowl before heading uphill.

This is the only snow I walked through, took the right side branch of the many trails up to the summit.

I think it's a requirement to take this photo on each visit. One of the uncrowded moments.

View of West Baldy while scree-surfing on the way down.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Very nice pictures and report. Thank you for sharing them.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy Jeff :)

I went up Bear Canyon and down the Bowl trail last Thursday with two friends (Perry A and Marilyn T). Coming down the Bowl trail was a complete PITA due to all of the use trails snaking everywhere and (as you so appropriately noted) the crap scree fest :(

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Hey Ellen,

Going that route - how did you get from Manker back to the village?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy Jeff :)

Two words "car shuttle" :wink: I believe it's worth the extra 15 to 20 minutes and gas to leave a car at Manker.

Another option is to ask folks for a ride back down to the village.

I've hiked down Bear Canyon many times -- my quads and feet thank me for the shorter descent.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen