Old Baldy 04/05/08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Went up yesterday starting at 9:15 am via Ski Hut trail, arrived at top just before 11:45 with the head end of the group. All members went down via Devil's Backbone, except Tim who decided to go down the Register Ridge route!

As being mentioned the snow is scarce, with only a few portions of ~15 ft while ascending to the ridge and then on the way to the peak.

If one wanted to, they could bypass the snow entirely, but the path has been defined sufficiently through the snow anyways (ignore my finger).

Testing out the poles

What are these 2 peaks in the background on the right? Is the one below part of the the ridge to Iron?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JMunaretto wrote:What are these 2 peaks in the background on the right? Is the one below part of the the ridge to Iron?
Unless I'm completely lost, Iron Mt. is behind you in this picture and the pic before it too. Harwood on the left and 2 of the 3 T's on the right (I think) - Thunder and Telegraph.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

woops your right that wasn't even the right photo...in fact i can't find the right photo! damnit
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

LOL. Good...I hate being lost. :wink:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

JMunaretto wrote:woops your right that wasn't even the right photo...in fact i can't find the right photo! damnit
You're allowed the occasional photo-swapping mistake. I figured you must know where Iron Mountain is since you've climbed it recently! :D
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the pics, JM. That's a very good time to the summit. You guys are way faster than me!

Btw, I didn't go down the Register Ridge Route, but instead took the east bowl to the Ski Hut. The top half had nice lines of thick scree with the right size rocks that I could surf down and/or plunge step. That was a lot of fun. The rest of the time the scree layer was too thin or the rocks were too big which was not so fun (i.e. painful).

It seems like there is less good scree up there than I remember. I've gone down this way a handful of times but I try not to do it often because I worry about messing up the scree field. Anyone know what the etiquette is regarding taking this route down? Should it even be done?
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice TR JM!
2.5 hours, very good time indeed.
:)