officials plan Eaton Canyon mountain safety meeting

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

http://tinyurl.com/7wyn7jy

:roll:

IMO it won't reach the people it needs to reach

But I wish them luck

I like my electronic tote board with injuries, fatalities, & rescues
AW~

Post by AW~ »

3pm on a workweek is not going to get a lot of attention for sure.

The good news is that Cedar Creek Falls is open again. I say that because the 2 places are similar. The deal there is that jumping into the water is prohibited and that law enforcement authorities will be there to enforce it.I suppose there are tea leaves to be read in that newswire as well in case things dont improve.

I wonder if we could close Razorback ridge in a similar way, but I dont know if the resources are there. You got volunteer help in managing Jackson Lake at dangerous times over in Wrightwood, but who is going to hang at Eaton on the weekends to make sure there is no graffiti and people are sticking to the established trail?

I would tell em to gut the Razorback trail at the bottom. Make the move necessary to gain the ridge out of ability for the casual razorback traveller and slap a closed sign on top of it. Same goes for the route on the side of the ridge.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I don't have anything to add that would make things safer. I think it's just part of natural selection. If you fall off Razorback, you probably shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Or just put guardrails and signs all over the damn place.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Results
LA County PSA

-60 hikers were rescued in 190-acre Eaton Canyon Natural Area in the last 12 months. Thirty-five of them were injured and two died, he said. In 2010, only 50 rescues were required and there was only one fatality.

“Last year, we had almost 487,000 hikers. We want to urge people to stay in the trails,” said Kim Bosell, superintendent of the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation. Bosell said the number of visitors to Eaton Canyon increased after the Station Fire in 2009, which prompted rangers to close large parts of the Angeles National Forest.

-Park rangers are also spending time on the trail on weekends, talking to hikers about the dangers of climbing there, according to Niccum(assistant chief in the County Fire Department).

One local resident at the press conference asked about putting up ladders at the falls so people would have easy access to the upper falls. Others asked about making a safe trail up.

Mike McIntyre, a local Forest Service supervisor, said that there are no plans to do that at this time, and said building a safe trail to the falls would be difficult, if not impossible.

-Bob Taylor of the Pasadena Fire Department said the rescues are making it hard for firefighters to focus on their other responsibilities.

"We now have to rely and other stations and other agencies," Taylor said.

-Press Conference was covered by pretty much everyone
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

My little sidekick and I were up there on Saturday, and the FD, USFS, and Altadena Mtn Rescue were out in force pulling some gal out. Dunno what happened but she didn't look good. Not moving. Apparently not consious. On a backboard on a stokes litter.

HJ