Pacific Crest Trail (Cajon - Little Jimmy - Soledad)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

little jimmy camp
have any of you ever spent the night here.?
does the campground have nice views..?
is there a lot of tree cover or can you stars?
do you think there would snow still?
how are the local bears in may?
what about the trail to mt.islip..is there any narrow drop offs
im taking my lil girl on a quick over night and id like to bag the summit
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Little Jimmy is a nice spot. The first part of the trail from Islip Saddle is a pretty good pull, but once you get past the first 3/4 mile or so it levels out. It's only about 2 miles to Little Jimmy. It's a big camp with plenty of tent sites. There are pit toilets (outhouses in other words). There are a fair number of trees. There isn't much of a view, but a quick hike east to Windy Gap will give you some good views -- even better if you go to the top of Mt. Islip. Water flows out of a pipe maybe 1/4 mile east of the camp and is very reliable.

The trail traverses some steep slopes. There are some drop offs, but the trail was in excellent condition the last time I was up there (Sept '07). Mt. Islip is a nice hike. I don't recall any steep drop offs if you stay on the trail (sometimes I just go up the ridge).

To get to Islip, you can go east on the main trail (the PCT) to Windy Gap and then take the side trail from Windy Gap up to the top. Alternatively, there is another trail that leaves from the back of the camp (south end) and joins up with the summit trail from Windy Gap.

Little Jimmy is a great beginner's backpack. There have been bear problems at the camp, so make sure to rent a bear cannister at Sport Chalet (or wherever). The only down side to Little Jimmy is that it's so nice that it's very popular especially with the Scouts. You never know though. Last September on Labor Day weekend which was a major scorcher (108 in Pasadena), a friend and I had the entire camp to ourselves except for one other person. It was beautiful weather at the camp, low in the 60's, 80's during the day. We hiked to Baden-Powell and saw no one between the camp and the peak. On Labor Day. In LA. Go figure.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

thanks hiking jim..

how long was the trip to baden powell.

i got me a bearvault 400 that i bought last summer for my JMT solo hike
its a bit much for overnighters but its convonient...everything fits

thanks again ...i look forward to a good weekend
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I think it's about 16 mi RT from Islip Saddle to Baden-Powell and return. Something like that. I don't think that's one for you and your daughter. Stick with Islip with her.

If you're thinking about doing a hike for yourself sometime, Islip to B-P is a nice one. Since Hwy 2 is closed through there, it's a bit more remote than it used to be. We had a lot of nice solitude. You can climb some peaks along the way: Hawkins, Throop, and Burnham. None of those peaks is particularly spectactular, but there are some nice views from Hawkins. The view from B-P is pretty cool to the S and the E as well as out into the desert. From Hawkins you can get to Helicopter Ridge if you want a little bit more challenge. From B-P you can get to Ross Mtn. If you do all 6 of those peaks, that would be a pretty full day (at least for me it would).

HJ
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Little Jimmy Trail Camp is in one of my favorate areas of the San Gabriels. There are lots of trees, it's pretty high elevation about 7500 feet, and there is a possiblity of bears or other wildlife around there (which in my opinion is pretty cool). I've been there several times while on my way to Mount Islip or Windy Gap. This is my usual lunch spot when Im hiking in the area. Unfourtuantly Ive never camped there yet, but I plan to this summer sometime. I was last there in Febuary of this year and there was about 5 feet of packed snow on the ground. It took a really long snow hike to get there about 13 or 14 miles roundtrip from where the road was closed (at the time) near the former Snowcreast ski area. Keep in mind that Little Jimmy is on the north side of the mountian so there still could be some snow, but this is just a wild guess since it has been warm lately and I havent been up there since Febuary.
Here are some Pics from my hike on 02/16/2008:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24141711@N ... 847891167/
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

whats up brain....those are some cool pics.
cmachler

Post by cmachler »

I'm very lazy when it comes to uploading my photos. Fortunately, the pictures from my overnight at Little Jimmy about two years ago just happen to be available here: http://cmachler.smugmug.com/gallery/176 ... 4113_3XjsC.

Little Jimmy is definitely my favorite trail camp in the San Gabriels. And the stretch of the PCT between Islip Saddle and Baden-Powell is probably my favorite trail.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

i went up in january 2008 and there was a little snow cave some boy scouts built. i hardly fit into it but it was very nice. there was probably 2-3 ft of snowpack at the time.

there is probably little snow patches left up at the camp. and there are definately patches up on the north slope of Mt. Islip. i would wait 2-3 more weeks to go up cause it is still 30*-40* up at 7500 ft right now and i know from experience that no kid likes the cold.

hopefully it rains so some dust will pack. this has been a weird spring. ive in the San Gabriel High Country the past 3 weekends and it has been odd. Either slippery snow patches or extremely dusty trails. no inbetween.

have fun!
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Still large patchs of snow all around Little Jimmy Campground, but there isn't much snow left in the actual campsites.
MikeSash

Post by MikeSash »

Seems simple enough, but can't find the info anywhere
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

MikeSash wrote:Seems simple enough, but can't find the info anywhere
According to the Tom Harrison Maps, Angeles High Country and Angeles Front Country it is 49.1 miles.
MikeSash

Post by MikeSash »

sweet deal thank you very much!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

MikeSash wrote:sweet deal thank you very much!
FIGHT ON!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

MikeSash wrote:Seems simple enough, but can't find the info anywhere
44.41 miles

Vincent Gulch Divide to Islip Saddle 12.1 miles

Islip Saddle to Cloudburst Summit 11.86 miles

Cloudburst Summit to Sulfur Spgs Cpgd 8.73 miles

Sulfur Spgs Cpgd to Mill Crk Summit 11.72 miles

Excel file for Section D

National Geographic TOPO! TPO file

Support data for Section D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Interesting website. Lotsa stuff.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

mattmaxon

Now that's some information, wish I had some of that when I was doing that section in the winter of 2006-2007 with just my dog and I - fun as it was I had to wing it a few times.

Where did you get all that?

Thanks Matt

Lilbitmo
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

lilbitmo wrote: Where did you get all that?
Lilbitmo
I put one foot in front of the other :o
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

mattmaxon wrote:
Lilbitmo
That's funny, I meant all the technical mileage and data?

I'm up for putting one foot in front of the other, unless I can find a safe chute to glissade down :D
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

lilbitmo wrote:
mattmaxon wrote:
Lilbitmo

I'm up for putting one foot in front of the other, unless I can find a safe chute to glissade down :D
No really....

I collected it.

It is based on the PCT DATA BOOK

I contributed data to the 2005 edition update

I have confirmed data from Campo to Cottonwood Pass & Sonora Pass to I-80

I used an external amplified antenna for 90+% it'sabout as good as it gets unless you invest in survey grade equipment

Matt
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

mattmaxon wrote:I collected it.

I used an external amplified antenna for 90+% it'sabout as good as it gets unless you invest in survey grade equipment

Matt
Hey mat. This stuff is interesting to me. I'm curious how the mileage information is collected. Is it like a gps thing? Does it collect continuous information or does it take like way points every so often or where ever you tell it to.
And between the way points does it measure in a strait line?
Any info would be great.
Thanks
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

mattmaxon wrote:
lilbitmo wrote:
mattmaxon wrote: I put one foot in front of the other :o

No really....

I collected it.

Matt
I stand corrected. Nice work. I appreciate all that you have done.

When I did sections from Campo to Miller Crossing I relied on HikerTrash.com that I stumbled across on the web. Had I known there was better data I would have turned to it.

Anytime I find good useful data I thank the person or persons who contributed it.

Once again thanks.

Lilbitmo
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

FIGHT ON wrote:I'm curious how the mileage information is collected.
Thanks
I am using a consumer grade hand held GPS. I prefer Garmin and an external antenna Velcroed on my hat

But as to the unit, it creates a "breadcumb" trail of points automatically as you move along. There are various settings for how this is done. I prefer the Automatic setting

The unit has a trip computer that displays the various parameters times, mileage, elevation etc...

This is computed from the breadcrumb track

For the PCT I estimated those points from the databook and entered them into the unit along with 3x5 cards with the info from the PCT DATABOOK

I tried to insure the altimeter was calibrated at a known elevation

Standing at the center of the starting point, in the case of a road in the center of the road I reset the GPS to zero, mark the point generally 0000

and start down the trail, marking various points along the way stopping to record the data with a waypoint with the mileage from the GPS trip computer and recording the data on a 3x5 card

Hike and repeat.!..

Matt
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

mattmaxon wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:I'm curious how the mileage information is collected.
Thanks
I am using a consumer grade hand held GPS. I prefer Garmin and an external antenna Velcroed on my hat

But as to the unit, it creates a "breadcumb" trail of points automatically as you move along. There are various settings for how this is done. I prefer the Automatic setting

The unit has a trip computer that displays the various parameters times, mileage, elevation etc...

This is computed from the breadcrumb track

For the PCT I estimated those points from the databook and entered them into the unit along with 3x5 cards with the info from the PCT DATABOOK

I tried to insure the altimeter was calibrated at a known elevation

Standing at the center of the starting point, in the case of a road in the center of the road I reset the GPS to zero, mark the point generally 0000

and start down the trail, marking various points along the way stopping to record the data with a waypoint with the mileage from the GPS trip computer and recording the data on a 3x5 card

Hike and repeat.!..

Matt
Cool. I am assuming that you are walking at a speed of about 2 or 3 mph or so as you carry the unit and gather info. As far as the breadcrumb trail points go, how closely were they set apart? Feet? Inches? Meters? What is the closest that they could be set? Does it take the measurements from one point to the next in a straight line? Why do you wear the external antenna Velcroed on your hat? Never heard of that, I mean what would happen to the data if you didn't wear one? Would it effect the accuracy in any way?
Thanks
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

And, did you carry your gps in a bag or around you hip, or was it swinging madly from your wrist? :P
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:And, did you carry your gps in a bag or around you hip, or was it swinging madly from your wrist? :P
Now J, you be a good boy and tend to your studies. :wink: Comments as yours are of no help and only invite chaos. Now all the trolls are going to see your food and mess everything up. Watch!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

FIGHT ON wrote:Cool. I am assuming that you are walking at a speed of about...
See
http://www.gpsprimer.net/

for basic questions on GPS

Matt
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

mattmaxon wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:Cool. I am assuming that you are walking at a speed of about...
See
http://www.gpsprimer.net/

for basic questions on GPS

Matt
Thanks Matt.

I found this on the link.

GPS Pitfalls

There are a few things to keep in mind when using a GPS that may not be obvious to a beginner. Read through these to keep the surprises to a minimum.

* A Moment of Privacy, Please
Every time you turn your GPS on, it will need some time to track down the satellites. The longer you have had your GPS off, the longer it will take. It can be a few seconds if you've only had your GPS off a few hours, to 20 minutes or more, depending on conditions, if you have had your GPS off for months. This is normal, just give it time--and a clear view of the sky.
* Blue Skies, Smiling at Me
Your GPS needs a clear view of the sky to find the satellites. It will not work in a building, nor too close to buildings or hills that block the horizon. Handheld GPS units can be problematic in a car (see below). And even heavy leaf cover can interfere. If your GPS unit is having trouble finding satellites, step out into the open. If in doubt, find a clear view of the southern horizon in the northern hemisphere, as the satellite tracks favor the middle of the globe rather than the poles.
* Basic GPS units are Poor Compasses
Basic GPS's do not have internal compasses. They have a hard time determining what direction you are facing when you are standing still. They calculate your direction using the GPS satellites, and you must be moving for the GPS to figure out which direction you are facing. If you want your GPS to function more like a traditional compass, where you stand still and orient yourself to a certain direction before moving, make sure the model specifies that it has an internal compass. These are usually more expensive models. Or, just bring a regular compass with you; they are cheap!
* Not THAT Accurate
GPS receivers' maximum accuracy is 10 feet under ideal conditions. Much of the time it will be less accurate than that, 50 feet or worse, and fluctuates as you move. This is still plenty accurate for most uses most of the time, but it can be a little disconcerting at first. WAAS-enabled units are supposedly more acccurate more of the time, but are still at the mercy of satellite visibility and atmospheric conditions.
* Got Batteries?
GPS receivers need batteries to function. Always bring spares...and bring an old fashioned compass and paper map if you will be in unfamiliar territory.
* Baby, You Can Almost Drive My Car...
Handheld GPS units don't do well in cars. They don't see well through the metal and glass of the car. You may need an external antenna. Navigational GPS units built for cars will include this...but then they aren't designed for walking.
* Wilderness Safety
With a GPS, you might find yourself more likely than you ever were to explore somewhere you have never been, or even get off the trail as you hunt for a geocache. Do some research on wilderness safety before you head out. Always tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back. Bring water and emergency supplies, especially foul weather gear, even if you are only going to be out for the afternoon. Remember you can go without food for days, but hypothermia or heat stroke can kill you in hours--and dehydration makes hypothermia (or heat stroke) more likely.
* Maps, Maps, Maps
You still need maps. You can store a lot of information in your GPS, but good old maps will still be useful. Drive to the park using roadmaps, use the trail maps to get into the general area of your destination, then use the GPS to zero in.
* Mother May I
Always respect the rights of landowners, be they your neighbors or the government. Obey the rules concerning trespassing, restricted areas or sensitive wildlife habitats. Check the park regulations concerning journeying off the trail.
* Keep Your Feathers Numbered
Always have a back up plan in case your GPS fails. You may run out of batteries, drop the unit in a lake, or just can't get a good fix on enough satellites due to weather or landscape, or delete a waypoint by accident. If you will be in unfamiliar territory, bring a paper map and a compass "just in case" you need to find your way back out without your GPS.

What I see is that the receiver to work at its potential best requires at least 3 satellites. And four must be in clear view to work best.
As you know many of our trails traverse adjacent to steep sections and sections that go under overhanging trees that block the sky. Sometimes almost completely. Wouldn't that effect how accurate the readings are?
Is this why you wear that antenna on your hat? I couldn't find any thing about that.
How would you know if the readings were off or not?
It also doesn't go into how often, how far apart the readings can be set when tracking. At least I can't see it. Do you know?
Thanks Matt
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

I'm thinking of picking up where I left off at the Mill Creek Summit on the PCT on Angeles Forest Highway, can anyone tell me if they been in that area and what if any snow is on Condor Peak, Gleason Mountain - I'm heading north towards Auga Dulce and beyond?

Thanks

Lilbitmo
:D
Liz

Post by Liz »

Now that Highway 2 is open, I'd love to hike from Vincent to Islip. Is looks like a 12 mile hike...has anyone done it? Or in reverse? Would you consider it moderate? My hubby and possibly a friend, will be with me, so I want to make sure it's moderate ,and not strenuous. I consider the Baldy Village Trail strenuous, and Vincent Gap to Baden-Powell moderately easy.

I'd appreciate comments, as I'd like to do this on Tuesday. And yes, we will do a car shuttle since it's a point to point.

Cheers!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

It's a nice moderate hike. Enjoy!