Whitney 2012

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Anybody else deal with the new and 'improved' permit system this year?

My card was charged yesterday, just waiting on the date... :D

Post by 406 »

I forgot to apply. If anyone has two extra spots, I might be interested in purchasing, depending on dates.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

406 wrote: I forgot to apply. If anyone has two extra spots, I might be interested in purchasing, depending on dates.
I'm leading a group of 6 up (dayhike), four of which are first timers... If two or more drop out, I'll let you know.
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

My card was charged too ! Dates are expected to be announced March 26.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

It's 3/26 (in New York, anyway)...

July 24! 8)
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

9/9 for me! Hopefully my brother can make it out. See y'all out there.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I'm in - August 31 so I get a nice looong weekend in the Sierras.
I have never missed out with the lottery, now 10-for-10. Not always my first choice but always a permit. I like to go on the full moon or day after so the early morning start is nice and bright.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda

Post by 406 »

mcphersonm80 wrote: If two or more drop out, I'll let you know.
thanks.
If someone else has a couple extra spots, I might take them (depending on the date ) and reward you with some yummy San Diego beer :D
ReconRonin949

Post by ReconRonin949 »

I am sure everyone already knows this, but just in case...60% of the Whitney Zone permits are reserved for daily walk-ins. They also release the next day's permits after 2 PM the preceding day (have to wait for the next day obviously), so you can score either way if your time is flexible.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

ReconRonin949 wrote: I am sure everyone already knows this, but just in case...60% of the Whitney Zone permits are reserved for daily walk-ins. They also release the next day's permits after 2 PM the preceding day (have to wait for the next day obviously), so you can score either way if your time is flexible.
That's not correct, actually. The whole process is frustrating and unnecessarily complicated.

A total of 14 permits are set aside each day for walk-ins in the Whitney Zone: 10 for "exit" permits for hikes starting outside the Whitney Zone and exiting the main trail, and 4 overnight permits for the North Fork trail (mountaineers route).

Otherwise, there are no walk-in permits whatsoever for Whitney.

The 2pm preceding day thing is simply when they release unclaimed permits at the Lone Pine Visitor Center.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/pass ... rdb5150055
ReconRonin949

Post by ReconRonin949 »

Hmmmm....well, not what the lady and the Ranger who was with her at the center told me. Maybe I was just lucky; I have never missed a "walk-in" permit for the Mountaineer's Route (starting at the Portal) the last three years, even with somewhat large groups. Usually mid week is when I have gone. Again, maybe just lucky.
Stockwell

Post by Stockwell »

I missed the lottery this year! Thought it started in April like last year, DOH! Anyways, what are the odds usually of me scoring an overnight permit or day passes for a group of 3 between June 16th - July 1st? I have to climb this mountain this summer. It has been put off long enough! Please God give me hope!!! and permits!!!
ReconRonin949

Post by ReconRonin949 »

well, assuming what the Ranger told me is correct, 60% of the total alloted permits are reserved for walk-ins. I believe they let 60 people per day overnight on the Main Trail, so that would basically add up to 35 permits released each day. The Mountaineer's Trail has far fewer permits total, but the % is the same (so they say). If you go during midweek, then you would have a strong chance of scoring permits. Also, you can get the following day's permit after 2 PM, but you are not allowed to enter until that following day. If worse comes to worse, and there are no permits left, then you could get a Cottonwood Lakes permit and climb Langley, or even get a permit for Mayson Lake, and do the traverse from Irvine to McAdie, over to Trail Crest or wherever you want to go. If you are going for a traverse, then have the proper tools for that undertaking (they are not too hard).
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Trying not to sound like a jerk, but the information you're providing is incorrect and you may want to give the ranger station another call (or check with Whitney specific boards www.whitneyportalstore.com or www.whitneyzone.com). With the exception of the very few North Fork and alternate-starting-point permits that I listed above, there are NO walk-in permits available to enter the Whitney Zone.

There is, however, a daily mini-lottery held at the ranger station to distribute the unclaimed permits and by all accounts, as long as you're relatively flexible with your dates, they're not difficult to get, particularly during the week.

The ranger may have been referring to walk-in campgrounds or a different area altogether, but again, there are (essentially) no walk-in permits for climbing Mt Whitney.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I believe the 'walk-in" permits are the unclaimed Mt Whitney permits as mcphersonm80 mentions. We went last mid-September for overnight permits (2 nights) and scored in the "mini-lottery". :)
This is copied from the USFS website Whitney Permits:

Walk In Permits:
The person requesting the permit must be going on the trip and must be in person at the visitor center. Requests for walk in permits are high on weekends, holidays and during the months of July, August and early September. Mt. Whitney permits do not have space saved for walk in requests; if there is space from cancelations permits can be issued one day before the trip entry date.

Walk in permits are issued starting at 11 am one day before the trip entry date. If space is still available, permits can be issued on the day of the trip.
During the non quota/ winter season, self-issue permit forms are available at night when the visitor center is closed. (November 2 to April 30)
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Old thread but still qualifies as a plan........

I'm attempting a dayhike of Whitney on Friday.
May hit up Cottonwood Lakes on Wednesday and just hang around Horseshoe Meadow on Thursday to acclimate.
Pictures to follow next week.
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cool! Hope you get a permit.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Yep, got the permit during the lottery. I've been successful in getting the permit for 10 consecutive years. I'm 4-for-8 on summit attempts. (one year I didn't attempt due to back injury)
Oh, and promise not to hijack another thread for my TR. :)
Donald Shimoda