SGM and marijuana farms

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

I hear about it being grown in Bear canyon, East Fork of Santa Anita canyon, little bear canyon, etc. Where don't they grow pot up there? ...rhetorical question. How do we protect ourselves from potentially deadly assaults from growers?
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I always carry my .45 pistol on me whenever I am out in the wilderness cause you never know what kind of four legged threats or two legged threats that one might encounter.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I run across farms on a regular basis. I've only come in contact with people on one occasion.

I can't say go armed because this is modern day America, and guns are scary and lawyers rule everything. Thus all I can say is your best policy is avoidance. If you cannot avoid a possible confrontation, just don't set yourself up to be a victim (unless that's your thing), and use caution.

That's not directed at anyone in particular at all.

Cheers
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

You directin that at me?!??!?!?!
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

Taco- more often than not, the farms are tucked away off the beaten path? Exception being the Bear Creek farm ranger claimed was 40 yards off the trail (he actually could smell pot from the trail is how he found it).
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'd say that's mostly true. If you're a canyoneer, you have a much higher chance of running into one than if you're just out hiking on a trail. The farms are in drainages. Water = farms.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Guns weigh too much.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

simonov wrote: Guns weigh too much.
Training is too hard, too.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Generally, if you wander off trail and suddenly see a bunch of trash and black irrigation tubing, quietly turn around and go back to the trail.

That's what I do, and I ain't dead yet.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

The ubiquitous black tubing. Like CM said, if you see that, you know what's up.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Pacoima Canyon, 31 October 2010. Maybe burned or washed out as a result of the Station Fire.

Great footage, as always Ms. Magic. Though cost-prohibitive, perhaps a stealthy trailcam-trailcam. Followed by a SGMDF "Most Wanted" topic with pictures.