Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

He's done.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

What do you mean by he's done? Did he resign, or is that what you think should happen?

Here is another article from San Diego UT
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I'm sorry, that was a flip comment. I mean, he will either step down or be removed, whichever comes first I'm not sure. He did nothing illegal, that's completely true. However, there's some controversy over how he was appointed to the job in the first place, and he doesn't seem to get along with others in the department. Public anger about his mountain lion hunt was the last straw, not the only one.

Do I think he should be fired? Well, I'd rather not wade into politics. My stance is that I want everyone to enjoy and understand wildlife. I don't want anyone saying "Wow, that Cougarmagic sure is a liberal wacko..." It's not my decision whether he's fired or not, but I suppose I'd rather have a F&G warden who is savvy about his or her public appearance relative to the state they represent.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19991115
Richards' term expires next January. He was voted president earlier this month in an odd 2-0 vote in which two commissioners who disagree with his views, Mike Sutton and Jack Baylis, abstained, while the former president, Jim Kellogg, whose term as president expired, supported him.
Of four possible votes, he got one. (Vote #2 was Richards voting for himself).
In 2010, his former business partner was indicted, along with three other men, on charges of bribery, conflict of interest, tax fraud, tax evasion, perjury and forgery. San Bernardino County prosecutors said the indicted men worked to corrupt public officials in connection with a $102 million settlement in a land development deal.
It's just corruption, like every other scandal. His mountain lion hunt in Idaho is simply something the public can get outraged over, since the other stories are less sensational. But at the end of the day, I'm sure we could find a better person to do the job.

So, OK, that's political. :oops: But at least it's more facts, and detail about why there is controversy surrounding this guy.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I have no problem with hunters who do so to put meat in their freezers. I once worked with two guys who were avid hunters. I ate some of their venison and elk. They would not kill a mountain lion just to have a trophy as a matter of personal honor and respect for the wilderness. One guy even had a bumper sticker on his truck with the phone number to report poachers. This Richards guy is a piece of...work.