San Gabriel Mountains Grande Tour

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

On brisk morning, circa 1920 or so, I decided to take the old Model T for a spin into the mountains. I saw many wondrous things which I will now share with you, thanks to a new technology called photographic film.

The southern slope of these marvelous peaks contain many beauteous waterfalls. The astute will recognize Eaton Canyon and Millard Canyon.

Rubio Canyon is often a scene of mishap, as foolhardy youths venture off trail.

Others prefer mules and horses to transport themselves up the Arroyo Seco, and Dark Canyon.

From thence one travels the Angeles Crest Highway, careful to navigate around treacherous rockfall.

Many hours later, near the old Colby Camp, you spy "Red Box" in the distance, a safe place to store firefighting equipment.

Nearby is Opid's Camp, a pleasant place to stop for a meal.

One must be careful to avoid the wild animals!

Here one glimpses the peaks of the High Country. Waterman, Islip, Twin Peaks, and perhaps Triplet Rocks.

One may camp and explore the rocky traverses at Chilao.

Ah, now we are in the pines!

Mining is a popular pastime. The Big Horn Mine overlooks the San Gabriel River, Pine Mountain, and a canyon known as "Fish Fork Inaday."

Mount Baldy of course is a delightful place for the serious mountaineer.

Up, up, up the road we go!

Ah, fresh (apparently chilly) mountain air at the Islip tunnels!

Far below us is Crystal Lake, and The Mighty San Gabriel River.

Thank you for sharing this delightful trip! For more olde-tyme photos, visit the USC Digital Archives. Please share what you find!

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search/co ... /index.htm
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Ah, fresh (apparently chilly) mountain air at the Islip tunnels
Nice!

Thanks for sharing, those pics are great.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Thanks cougarmagic!

Swizter chapel......I dont remember seeing this one before. Note: the trail up to the remains of the chapel is way past beginner level.

Maiden Hair Falls in Rubio canyon that is currently buried under a pile of rocks
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

That's nice, thanks for sharing that CM - do you still have that "Hoody" and the convertible in the Islip Tunnel Picture - those are both rare to be seen in public anymore :wink:

Are you working on a research project or just ran across these and wanted to see more? Hoping others would post their's?

Thanks again - great stuff :D
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

lilbitmo wrote: Are you working on a research project or just ran across these and wanted to see more?
I just stumbled on the site. I was looking for info on the cabins in the West Fork. I was having way too much fun (at work!) finding the pics. I do hope people search more and find others. I'm sure there are lots of Mount Wilson and Mt Lowe photos.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Apparently CM was not the first to head to the San Gabriels in heels. :lol:

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

THOU HAST LIED! I haveth spied one 1957 Thunderbird! Thou art a time travelling assassin.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Really enjoyed that, Cougarmagic! Thanks for sharing!
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Very cool! Thank you for sharing