Iron Bliss 1X12

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

High winds were forecasted for the area so I thought, it would be a nice fun trek to Iron to see the snow at Baldy and the surrounding area. With some cooling winds to go along, to take the hellish edge from all those uphill climbs, how could I not go there! The unusual 5:30 ring did not help me to reach the desired 7am on the trail. With a cool day predicted I thought I should try to ''Rick Kent it'' a bit with the water supply, down to 3lits instead of the usual four in order to compensate for the extra weight coming from the food. I got on 210 with a boring big band sound that I put to an end as I moved on the 39 with no turtles in front of me to delay the arrival at the parking lot about 8am. There was a large group going to the bridge, as I was forced to park down the street. The usual weekend gatherings at the popular places! People vanished as I started to ascend towards the first saddle at the outhouse. Under the shade and being cool, this section is a very pleasant warm up trek to the first saddle. The fully radiating sun beat me to the first saddle and was with me the rest of the trip to the top. Things went alone fine until I got a sight of the river, but where ta hell was the wind? It was all calm and quiet of no wind and people. I was able to discern some fresh foot tracks on the trail and that gave me hope I might be able to use some people as a reference as to where the trail goes when I take a pic. Getting a bit sluggish and using a stick, I reached the heli spot in 2 hrs and then I took my usual energy snack break as I was looking over the uphill trying to spot any people on the fun trail! Finally I did, and I noticed 2 people on the first ridge, taking a bit more time to relax then I would, as I prefer to keep on going with a short break only to eat something. See if you can spot them on one of the pics. Past the saddle, a few steps on the uphill will dictate the pace for the rest of the trip to the top. Kept on the move until the precious flat area appeared for a bit of an easy trek to the next uphill from hell and it was all the same thing over and over again with some minor variations on the terrain, that made me desire to see some zig-zags instead of usual straight up! Finally I saw a road runner coming down and telling me that when he started at 5:30 am it was cold and windy but the winds have calmed down for now! Then I quickly gulped down a half a lit of water as I asked him if he had any extra to share cause this was not going to be nice with no cool winds in action to keep me refreshed for another 2hrs to the top! He kindly offered me some water and I moved on to the first steep reddish soil uphill only to see 2 "children" taking a break there. I cheered them on to make it to the top as I kept moving on and on and on until I reached the thorny bushes that everybody loves to hate when they have to go by them in order to get some where; for me, I now know that the summit is near! Just a few small white patches of snow on the shaded areas and finally the last rocky uphill to the top! When you stand on the top of this summit, you know you have accomplished one of the most coveted treks on the Gabes. The real magic lies, to be present and able to see the sourounding areas from the top of Iron. After I take a few pics and a few yells towards the children, I hear them respond back and then I felt happy for them cause they will be on the summit soon. They left their brains in Frisco and brought their hearts to LA for a challengeable trek to Iron Mt and proudly they made it to the top after a gruesome 6hr trek. What an amazing accomplishment for both of them having no training on this kind of terrain! During the trek to the top you need to propel the body to go up the steep; for the downhill trek, you need to control the descent and hold back the momentum so you won't be forced to land at something that is not pleasant to the body! The best descend is to go down slow and thus minimize the odds of getting hurt until you reach the saddle. Thats what we all did; as this slower pace gave me a better chance to glance all over this beautiful area and enjoy the visual Iron magic!......... 666

THE BRIGHT ONE

BALDY AREA

THE WHOLE TRIP FRM THE SADDLE

ITS GETTING LATE BUT SO ENCHANTING

FRM THE TOP;LKN AT DAWSON AND PINE
Pics
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Nice try, but you cant convince me that Iron is nothing but a brutal butt-kicking for hours and then right at the top it gets awesome, but by then its too late and the hike is just trying to wet your beak and sends you back down.

Sincerely, NHPS club member
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

AW wrote: Nice try, but you cant convince me that Iron is nothing but a brutal butt-kicking for hours and then right at the top it gets awesome, but by then its too late and the hike is just trying to wet your beak and sends you back down.

X2

Iron is poopy.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

AW wrote: Nice try, but you cant convince me that Iron is nothing but a brutal butt-kicking for hours and then right at the top it gets awesome, but by then its too late and the hike is just trying to wet your beak and sends you back down.

AW, in your statement, you remove any protective deceptions or illusions that motivate one to go there and then you reveal the true essence of the trip':shock:'
The price you pay to go for a few(min or hrs) to Iron summit heaven!
''Power bores me; struggle invigorates me''
Unfortunately I was not the main designer of the trail; some evil person made it this way, in order to make you can suffer until you reach the top of Iron heaven!
But hey, there can always be a re-routing with zig-zags for an easier trek, if one desires!....... the Iron Beast!!!
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

Taco wrote:
Iron is poopy.

Here is the evidence from one of the registers on top of Iron; you are indeed an avid Iron hater!.... 666
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Gotta love Iron! :D

The key is to go when the weather is right. Anything above 80º and you'll be hating life before you're even half way there. Time it right, and it's easily one of the best treks in the SGs.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

mcphersonm80 wrote: Gotta love Iron! :D

The key is to go when the weather is right. Anything above 80º and you'll be hating life before you're even half way there. Time it right, and it's easily one of the best treks in the SGs.
the right key is to go when the weather is above 80, strap on the 5lits, start at 8am, drip sweat when you pass the outhouse, have the sun in your face from the first saddle on. For your return, past the saddle the 4 miles should feel like you walking on hot coals! Then you have really experienced the true Iron trek frm hell!!! 666
AW~

Post by AW~ »

If that kind of struggle is invigorating, then I think I have a couple ropes and a gallon of water that can be added to a future trip for further stashing. :D

Now if you can carry my backpack then even better....I promise I wont be inside as a stow-away ... 8) think of it as training for an adventure race.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

AW wrote: If that kind of struggle is invigorating, then I think I have a couple ropes and a gallon of water that can be added to a future trip for further stashing. :D

Now if you can carry my backpack then even better....I promise I wont be inside as a stow-away ... 8) think of it as training for an adventure race.
8) :lol:
bechtt

Post by bechtt »

Looks like someone walked off with the register box between your visit and mine on this past Sunday. I didn't do a thorough search but did walk around the summit area. Signs of the old PVC pipe (broken) inside the cairn.
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

bechtt wrote: Looks like someone walked off with the register box between your visit and mine on this past Sunday. I didn't do a thorough search but did walk around the summit area. Signs of the old PVC pipe (broken) inside the cairn.
The register is still there, it is just moved off to the right as you approach the summit. Sadly, Mark's summit thermometer did not survive the winter.
Iron 2012 by asbufra, on Flickr
bechtt

Post by bechtt »

I hope you're right. I did walk around the summit area but didn't look to see if someone had thrown it in a bush or down a gully. I guess it (or a replacement) will be up there next time I go up.