Winston Ridge Mystery 1/17/12

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

The notable lack of snow, and a day off work, combined with the recent inspiration from Elwood to check out Winston Ridge, brought Jane and I up there on this fine warm January day.

Views along this route range from Very Beautiful, all the way up to Extremely Beautiful. The walking is easy with little elevation gain for us sea-level-dwelling, low red cell count city folk. What a cool place to be in the middle of the San Gabriel Wilderness, with no roads in sight (and no motorcycles heard). Don't be offended now - bikes are loud.

On the way back, we explored an old road that splits off heading west, from the saddle north of Winston Peak. (NHPS rules!) It goes....nowhere. Anyone know what the deal was with this road? 10' pines growing in the middle of it indicated no vehicle travel in quite some time. Mining? Logging? An old ranch of some kind???

Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Where exactly is this? This is stunning!
andthewalrus

Post by andthewalrus »

it'a near Mt waterman, opposite side of the Angeles crest
And I was curious, so I checked the 1959 + 1995 topo maps available online , and there is nothing there on either. Interesting.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Here's a link to Elwood's trip. https://eispiraten.com/f ... inston.php

He has a nice map showing his route. (we only did a small portion of it though).
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

I like the idea of approaching from Cooper Canyon - I looked at dropping onto the ridge from Winston Peak and the slog down then up and back didn't appeal (of course it was back in July and pretty hot)..
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

No mines nearby that I can tell.

Maybe hwy-2 wrapped around the north side of Winston at some point?