What are your favorite hikes in the San Gabriel Mountains?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
caliguy92832

Post by caliguy92832 »

What are your favorite San Gabriel Mountain hikes?
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

The forest is like going to a liquor store;you have so many brands to choose from, you can sample all of them but in the end you tend to pick a few to enjoy on the regular basis. Your time(escape from the world), ability(slug,turtle,rabbit,roadrunner) time of the year(seasons) and knowledge(awareness of the place), influences as to when and where you will go. This generally comes from a costly trial and error (experience) or you can take some else's advise(good luck on that one).... There is magic everywhere you go in the forest; I try to go to places that is the best time of the year to go there, thus you get more, safe, rewarding enjoyment of the trek..... 666
everyday

Post by everyday »

Any hike to a canyon with Ryan is my favorite! :D
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I like this question!

hmmm...so, a meteor is headed for earth and I have one day to hike. You'd find me on Mt Waterman listening to the breeze through the pines, looking at the rich blue sky and breathing in the incense of Jeffery Pine.
Breabonnie

Post by Breabonnie »

The very first place I ever hiked in the San Gabriel's was Monrovia Canyon Falls trail at Monrovia Canyon Park, Monrovia, CA:

Why I like it and why I also believe its a good starter hike:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1) Not far off the freeway/civiliztion/yet AWAY feeling is definitely present if you are pressed for time.
2) Clean flush toilet bathrooms and sinks w/soap for washing hands.
3) Three areas in the park to start the hike depending on how much distance you want to cover or ability to do. (Parking fee to city of $5.00. You cannot use the Forest Adventure Pass to park here. Its city owned and operated.)
4) No parking pass fee required if you park in the residential area outside the park. (Usually about 4 1/2 miles round trip on average at this starting point.)
6) Year round flowing 30 foot waterfall fed by a natural spring.
7) Mostly all shaded hiking area about 1,300 feet elevation. Great all year round.
8) Often have discovered deer families during the week on the neighbor's lawns which is always a treat to see.

NOTE:
If memory serves me, their parking lot is closed on Tuesdays for cars, but you can still walk in. However, expect the bathrooms to be closed. Also on regular days they close the gate to their parking lot at 5pm so keep track of time or just park in the neighborhood.
Breabonnie

Post by Breabonnie »

I put down Monrovia, however I enjoy doing longer hikes these days.

During the cooler weather usually Oct-May I get great exercise and usually that feeling of alone, out and back (but not too far away) by going to the "Upper Falls Trail" at "Fern Lodge Junction" on the way to "Sturtevant Falls" in the "Big Santa Anita" area. I escape the busiest crowds and enjoy the stream as it cascades over rocks and drops into pools. The shady trees and winding canyon feel give me a sense of adventure wondering what is around each corner on a narrow dirt path I take. This type of exercise to me is so pleasant and relaxing yet you get an awesome workout as you climb and enjoy breathing the fresh clean air of the forest. Here and there the trail opens up to the sun and you get to enjoy the hilly view of the green mountains and city in the distance. If time allows you can take the outer "loop" back to the parking lot (Chantry Flats) through the "Spruce Grove Campground", "Zion trail" and then "Upper Winter Creek" trails. Taking this route from beginning to end averages about 4 hours quick paced walking for me if I stop at the campground and enjoy a 15-20 minute lunch. I think it is between 8-10 miles total for that longer route, but I'd need to look it up again.

You can bring a dog on a leash here or feel just as safe even when walking alone as you'll often run into other folks on most day trip trails before nightfall. I have seen mountain bikers here and runners as well as boy scout troups or overnight backpackers that plan to stay the night in a tent. Its a great escape with so many trail options to choose from and again year round water fed by natural spring.

Forest Adventure Pass is required for parking but no other passes necessary. For those of you who have been on the weekend you know its super hard to find good parking unless you arrive really early or late in the day as folks are leaving.

In February I plan to hike in and stay at Sturtevant Camp cabins over night which recently opened back up for reservations.

This truly is a WONDERFUL place to hike and one of my all time favorites.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

I think the beast above answered it. Happy Trails...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Fish Fork in a Day. :wink:
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

North Backbone (Pine/Dawson/Baldy) ranks way up there for me.

Iron from Heaton Flat is cool too, even if only up to the saddle. Bear and cat scat along virtually the entire route always adds a lot of....... atmosphere to the experience. :shock:
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

My go-to hike is Sunset Peak. Seldom crowded and the ridge route provides lots of convenient stopping places to just hang out and soak up the views and solitude.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

A cross-country walk down Pine Mountain Ridge is my favorite. Lots of animals(big horn, squirrels, lizards), groves of wild-flowers(my favorite being Pin-Cushions), and amazing high country views.

If it were the end of the world, as a last hurrah hike, I would start at the Acorn Trail in Wrightwood, climb Pine Mtn, walk down to Prairie Fork, up Vincent Gulch, and then crawl up Mt Baden Powell. From there, I would gaze upon L.A. while it burns in flames, while I sip a cold brewsky....moppychris
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I really enjoy the middle-high backcountry off the ACH. Waterman/Twin Peaks, Pleasant View Ridge, and Winston Peak/Ridge are some of my favorite places.
tpfishnfool

Post by tpfishnfool »

North Backbone. Guffy, Pine, Dawson, Baldy
tarol

Post by tarol »

Middle Fork Lytle Creek - Cucamonga Wilderness - love the waterfalls near Third Stream Crossing :)