Sunset Ridge fire rd to mt Lowe

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

A group walk up on the fire rd from the crowded gate. Lots of nice bikers and lots of hikers on the sunset trl;we had to take the paved rd frm start and continued on to the Alpine tavern. With this wonderful warm winter weather, the walk was pleasant and with amazing views of the area. By the circular bridge we met some nice, happy ''children'' who said they were looking for the Dawn mine trail. I mentioned to them if they trained their eyes to look beyond their hand held digi devises they would have seen the signs as they passed them by! Feeling assured that they knew where to turn now, they marched back down on the fire rd as we kept going up the fire rd enjoying the views and reading a bit of rr history on the posted signs along the fire rd. Finally we made it to the Alpine tavern, stayed there for a quick snack and then finally we got on the west trail to march on to the top of Lowe. The pano views of the front country were amazing but the close up of the burn was not so nice. We all wait the passing of a few more years for the land will turn green again.
A clear wintery,cold, breezy summit with views of no snow on any of the high peaks. Our plan was to have lunch at inspiration point and not stay much longer on the cold, windy top of mt Lowe.
Going down the east side was easy, fun and fast. This part of the trail has become a racing course by the careless, thrill-seeking, self-centered, trail destructive, hiker intimidating, thrill-racing and not recreating bikers! Everyone get out of their way!!! Police this trail section on the weekends and educate these freaks to be more civil on the mountains you concerned and caring COBRA!
Moving on to Inspiration Point for a quick lunch, we enjoyed some wonderful views of the valley, saw a few people coming up from Castle Cyn as we were headed down that way. Heard a few echoing shouts as we got near the Echo mnt area, then we marched on to the fire road and back down to the car to end this 6.5 hrs of fun time in the forest....666

An empty Bowl

Extending Lake Av

Cape of Good Hope

G gate, Tom Sloan Sdl, Brown Mt ridge

the burn line and the Vs

Luckens

San Gabes fave plant

Josie

looking at the burn thru the burn

LA,LA

the windy sunny summit
dgrimreaper

Post by dgrimreaper »

Thanks for sharing the pics. I tried to take my kids up to My. Sally a couple months ago, and the trail and even fire road were covered in Poodle Dog Bush. My son got a nice rash on his back and I didn't even see him brush against any.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

dgrimreaper wrote: My son got a nice rash on his back and I didn't even see him brush against any.

Hey Mr Mom, I know where you went, at the poodle dog bush fields forever! You didn't see junior brush against the pd bush cause you were looking out for yourself not to get it on ya or too much gazing at nice scene around the Mt Wilson area. You can not keep a youngster from touching or brushing the plant when there are so many growing all over the big burn area.The plant is more dangerous from spring to fall and some people are more sensitive than others. I have brushed on it many times and have survived the rash effect, also I like how it smells and kind of looks similar to a plant that people like to puff on! From now on you will be restricted to bring junior only at the non burn areas of the San Gabes! Good luck and enjoy the forest. I am glad that you liked the pics..... 666
dgrimreaper

Post by dgrimreaper »

Yup, the parking area looks familiar! Since we didn't see the trail going up the ridge from the road, we dropped down the use trail to the fire road below. I wish I could have taken in the sights, too busy keeping a sharp eye out for these damn bushes. Yes, non burn going forward. Thanks for sharing the other pics and for being a beast out on the trails.
caliguy92832

Post by caliguy92832 »

Nice pics! Wasn't that trail closed because of the fire?
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

caliguy92832 wrote: Wasn't that trail closed because of the fire?
At one time it was, its open now!
FYI you need to consult the official ANF closure map in order to know whats off limits if you dont want FO (the rules bug) to constantly pester you for breaking the rules by going somewhere that is forbidden to all mankind! (':lol:')

If you enjoyed the pics, then go and see the real thing but look out of the dog poodle brush on the west side of Lowe. Perhaps you might want to pass by the half way point on the fire rd and try to locate a landmark, either way enloy... 666