Old Mt Wilson Trail Fun

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

11:45 on the trail; I was wondering why the pack felt so light! forgot to pack the snacks! only 2 lits of water, ops, kept thinking got to make it to the ridge and hope the nice and always hospitable Koreans will give me something to keep me going. No mood to beg frm anyone else, paying the price from the extra wine that I drank last night. Super nice day even if a bit warm it felt like morning to me. When not even past the first water area, some one greets me with a good afternoon! Nice, I say, will I make it to the toll rd and back before dark? Drank a cold one frm decker springs, kept on taking pics and moved on to orchard camp. To my delight, a small group of Koreans were there and offered me couple treats to help save the day! As I marched on, a mild huffy-puffy challenged me to keep a steady hand when taking pics. The mild temp was just perfect for a fun trek to mz ridge. I arrived at the bench and no one was there but I felt good, so a quick stop, then on to the toll rd. Up the ridge I go with a bit more elevated hf-pf as I soon found a group of ''children''in their 20s, looking over a map, holding a compass and looking like they were lost. They wanted me to tell them how to go to Chantry and I told them you got the tools children why ask. They developed an attitude, I marched on , they followed me up towards the toll rd like sheep, where I was going to show them the sign. Lucky for them, a passing runner spoiled my fun time and told them to turn around and all then went well. I figured little extra walk would tame their attitude! I have never met a lost person ever around this area.
The return trip was much better as it got people quiet, cool walking temp and it was all downhill trek to the car a bit past 5. You have time go, ck this awsome place out. A few pics of the canopy.....666
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

Nice day report.

You show those kids who's bossiest beast around.
You should have traded your directions for more snacks.
:lol:
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

moppychris wrote: Nice day report.

A:You show those kids who's bossiest beast around.
B:You should have traded your directions for more snacks.
:lol:
A:Well, it was more of an entertaining-informative issue than being bossy to the ''children''. The basic guideline that applies when you go to an unfamiliar territory is never to stray off trail, do some research of the place before you go (access to the internet makes it way easier now) and be on constant alert as you move on(common sense). I learned this lesson early on my first mountain trek to the Baldy Notch as I was faced with a variety of access choices for the summit and I wasn't sure which one to take. When I asked a local passing by runner for directions all she wisely replied was ''all roads lead to Rome!'' Self reliance is the name of the game here. I heard this wise advise from a mountaineer who advised me to go on my own to the mountains and learn from the experience. In an entertaining way I tried to make this point to the children but all I got back from them was the verbal ''finger'', I returned the favor with the physical finger, moved on, hopping they all had learned something from this encounter. A typical encounter with the city rats on the mountains....
B:I felt really great and there was no need to ask these people for anything.
Overall, this is a great place to see and I always enjoy the walk every time I go there...Plz ck the pics out....... 666
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Enjoyed the pics -- Been up there many times. The meaning behind the "going round there if you know" is intriguing. Hiker Bob trail I'm familiar with...
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

shreddy wrote: The meaning behind the "going round there if you know" is
the fire rd (the goal of the trip),you also see the ridge to the fr, trail above orchard camp, all these things are in the pic if you know how to see them. Now, since you claim to go there a lot, aprx where was this pic of the first sight of the toll rd taken at? ... 666
caliguy92832

Post by caliguy92832 »

Alot of nice pics!!
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

"aprx where was this pic of the first sight of the toll rd taken at? "

what's the title of said pic?
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

shreddy wrote: "aprx where was this pic of the first sight of the toll rd taken at? "

what's the title of said pic?

this one!!!!!! 666
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Same place I took this picture from...

666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

HikeUp wrote: Same place I took this picture from...

Geez... why dint I think to rip this one and some others ones off ya thus saving me some batt life on the cam and less time on the trl thus geting home sooner to enjoy the devils brew, Smith X ale...

Welcome back, but you cant play the id the place game now that you disqualified yourself with this duplicate pic! Keep yourself busy with the photo landmarks at the half way point on the fire road to Mt Lowe!

Dont my pics qualify to recommend as pics from hell? Blurry(pounding heart), never under ideal conditions (11am-3pm), 2mgpicels(why wait the xtra download time), the lousy download sequence and the icing on the cake(the comments and the grammar)....pure visual hell here folks.... 666
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

I've seen that view, but not sure... helipad? helipad seems too low. Guess I gotta pay better uhtenshun. I don't know... you win beast! :D
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

You got the right place, good guess! You are under the canopy and all of a sudden this reference view pops up to give you a glimpse what fun lies ahead for you.

Here is another shot that also like.

Now, the next project is to locate the helipad from up high!
Cant wait go there? then look up at Hike Ups pis for I am sure its there! 666
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

"Now, the next project is to locate the helipad from up high! "

I know a spot to accomplish this. It's somewhat obvious...