San Gorgonio trail conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
EastKing

Post by EastKing »

We will be heading up San Gorgonio January 20th so I am trying to get a heads up on conditions for the route up. We are bringng all the trimming (ice axe, helmet, crampons, etc.) and are preparing for full winter conditions but I want to have som idea on what to expect for this trip in terms of current conditions.
tarol

Post by tarol »

Which trail?

Vivian Creek trailhead is closed

South Fork Trail has snow - it's slushy this week with all the good weather we've been having, but that good weather will probably come to an end towards the later part of next week. You'll probably need snowshoes/crampons/and ice axe to summit.

Also, post your question here - this is a forum dedicated to the San G Wilderness

http://members.boardhost.com/sgva/
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I will be in the area on the 14th, I will let you know what it looks like. In general, its been a dry start to winter in So Cal. Its 85 at my house right now!
EastKing

Post by EastKing »

Just wondering what the new conditions are like. Is the Vivian Creek Trailhead still closed. Thanks for any new information. :?:
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Yes, the parking lot for Vivian is closed. I was up the south fork yesterday. The trails were very icy through out the day. Off the trail coverage is thin. Not enough to completely cover the brush and downed trees. Off the beaten path the snow is unconsolidated and requires snowshoes for efficient travel. San Gorgonio and Jepson looked to be snow free above 11000. Looks like they have been scoured clean by the wind. The weather was mild yesterday, I was in shorts and a t-shirt most of the day.

Vivain Creek side should have even less snow that the south fork, but my guess is along the ridge between San G and San Bernardino you will experience a wide variety of snow conditions. I would bring snowshoes and crampons.

There maybe a storm on the way next Sat and Sun. Keep an eye on this forecast and bensweather.com. Check your PM's
jmac

Post by jmac »

I was up on the 12th. TR here http://members.boardhost.com/sgva/msg/1326495740.html. The storm which will roll in tomorrow is sure to change things a bit. It's pretty easy going to Dry Lake. About a 1/4mile past the lake snowshoes and crampons/axe will help a lot. Have fun!