Chantry Flat to Wilson via Camp Sturtevant,Winter Creek Loop

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

Once an a while I kind of turtle out and hike with a small group of people that like to hike long, fun places like this one to the top of Wilson. It all started on sunday morn around 8am; being able to find a parking spot on the Chantry Flats parking lot was a pleasant surprise; where were all the Asians? not here!
For an easily warm up we all headed down to the Stu falls and ascended towards the Spruce Grove campground, then on to the Stu huts and finally on to Wilson. This time of the year, this area is very enjoyable to hike on any trail. The fall serenity,the nice weather, the scattered leaves all over the trail, the water still running down the streams and not many people on the trail made for an enjoyable hike to the camp Stu where we took a short break before the start of the 3 miler 2500' gain to reach the pano-vista point at the top of Wilson. Small green branches scattered all over was the only damage from the winds along with a large tree that had fallen on the trail. At 4700' the white water blanket started to form and made you now feel that you entered the wintery land. The 2- 5'' of slushy snow was kind of fun to step on and posed no problems as you went on by the few steep dangerous areas where the one lady had slipped to her death few years ago. The snow faded as you went the south east side and re appeared again on the north side until I reached- ahead of the group- the pano vista in order to have more time to enjoy the snow covered high country. I wondered how many people in their rush to the top miss this awsome vista!, I had to call the group over as they marched on passing the pano vista. We were walking on a 5"of snow and a few cleared sections on the road and then brief snow walk on the trail to the deserted chalet . A brief stay on the cloud covered area that deprived us of any pano views of the valley and the near by mountains. The snow covered parking lot, the now chilly weather and the steepish snow covered trail going down to the toll road was a fun winter experience as it ended when we reached the junction to go down to the bench. We got benched for a bit and then it was time to go on the Winter Creek Trl back to Chantry. We headed back down under the tall, dark green oak canopy, with plenty of poison oak branches everywhere, as the clouds started to engulf the area giving it a magically surreal sight to it but only going away as we meet the trail coming from Hoegees. Then came the longest, busiest 2 miles back to the car hike. So lucky to be able to experience such a wonderful winter day at the Chanrty Flat area of the Santa Anita Cyn .......Will come back again but I am sure I won't be so lucky at finding a parking spot so close to the trails.....
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

Sounds beautiful, any pictures? We did this last year in the snow (Feburary) but only went the other direction up and back.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

lesper4 wrote: Sounds beautiful, any pictures? We did this last year in the snow (Feburary) but only went the other direction up and back.
I prefer the silence that permeates the canopy along with the fall foliage scattered over the trail and the whispering sounds of the water as you cross or pass by the streams. So I like to ascend via Sturtevant trail to the top cause its not very busy, also it faces north it has more snow to walk on, its more of an uphill trek and the best part is when you arrive at the pano vista, enjoying the view of all the mountains before you head to the chalet, hopping the have a drink and a bite at the Cosmic Cafe. By the way, there were signs all over the place announcing that april the 1st is the reopening of this cool cafe!
The return trip for me is to go via Winter Creek trail in order to enjoy all the poison oak growth especially after they shed the leaves you can observe their parasitic weaving branches on many tree trunks and the avoidance game with the small branches lying near the trail waiting for a contact to give you the puffed up look! After that, I like to go down thru Hoegees Camp in order to pass thru the cabins and be near the winter creek stream in order to reach the wooden bridge. The finale is the last uphill walk on the road that I like to use up all the energy fuel and see how fast I can make it back to the car....
You went up the most popular and short route to Wilson, but I you can put a bit more effort and time the above route is more enjoyable!
I did not take any pics on this trip, I will try to get a few frm the other people and I might post; nothing like being there in person though.......666

Pics (for a limited time)