Burkhart Trail

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
eljefe628

Post by eljefe628 »

I'm thinking about hiking the Burkhart Trail - Devil's Punchbowl to Pleasant View Ridge. I'm ashamed to say that I've never done that side of the the San Gabriels and am not sure what to expect. What's the weather like during this time of year? Can I expect snow? Are cramp ons advisable?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

eljefe628 wrote: I'm ashamed to say that I've never done that side of the the San Gabriels
I absolve you of your sin...

I haven't been there recently, but with a change in the weather forecast for early next week.

Crampons are always advisable this time of year if you are determined to achieve your objective.

But Burkhart is relatively low and we've not had much snow it "shouldn't" be a problem.

You can always turn back, the mountain isn't going anywhere

These are a couple trips I've done in the area

SR-2 Burkhart Trail to Devils Puchbowl

Devils Puchbowl Stairmaster
Max Falcon

Post by Max Falcon »

I was just there yesterday. No snow and only a little bit of ice in the creek at the bottom of the canyon. But with this storm today and tomorrow, I would expect there to be snow now. Crampons would be advised.
eljefe628

Post by eljefe628 »

I'm thinking about doing the Buckhorn to Little Rock Creek, Burhart Saddle, Pleasant View hike on Monday and was wondering if anyone had been up to that region lately? How are the conditions? Temperature? Besides looking at Yahoo weather for Altadena I have no idea how to check the weather for anywhere on the 2.
Thanks!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

eljefe628 wrote: I'm thinking about doing the Buckhorn to Little Rock Creek, Burhart Saddle, Pleasant View hike on Monday and was wondering if anyone had been up to that region lately? How are the conditions? Temperature? Besides looking at Yahoo weather for Altadena I have no idea how to check the weather for anywhere on the 2.
Thanks!
You can get a rough idea of weather conditions from the National Weather Service. They have point forecasts available. Here is a link to the point forecast for the Burkhart Saddle/Thrall Peak area. If you zoom in on the little map, you'll see the area covered.

These aren't super accurate, but it should give you some idea as to what to expect weather wise.

HJ
eljefe628

Post by eljefe628 »

Thanks for the link! It was really helpful.
David R

Post by David R »

I hiked to Will Thrall this Sunday. The Burkhart trail has only one minor washout getting to the confluence with Little Rock Creek. From here the trail gets much rougher with lots of landslides covering the trail. Hikers have beaten reasonable use trails over these sections but you do need to watch your footing. There is also lots of rocks covering the trail making it slow going. Once you get to the next tributary, the trail has less issues but is still in rough shape. This trail needs some major love to get back in shape.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Thanks for report! Any photos? How much is burned?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Did you make it to the saddle?
David R

Post by David R »

Yes I went to Will Thrall Peak and my son scooted over to Pallett as well, on the other side of the saddle. I do have some pics from the summit, I'll put up a little later.
David R

Post by David R »

Antelope Valley.jpg
Mt Gleason.jpg
Pleasant View.jpg
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Damn, Pleasant View Ridge was so beautiful. At least some trees survived.

Also, nice job delegating by having your son hike Pallett. Ha.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Will Thrall is probably my most favorite peak in the San Gabes. Good job!!!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

David, is your third pic taken from where the plaque is?
David R

Post by David R »

Uncle Rico wrote: David, is your third pic taken from where the plaque is?
All the pics were from the summit/plaque.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Did you go to the Pallett benchmark while you were in the neighborhood?

The only time I was there I was pooped by the time I got to Will Thrall so didn't continue out to the high point. I regret that now.
David R

Post by David R »

Uncle Rico wrote: Did you go to the Pallett benchmark while you were in the neighborhood?

The only time I was there I was pooped by the time I got to Will Thrall so didn't continue out to the high point. I regret that now.
No but I've been up there three times, the last time was three years ago from the west via Antelope Valley which was very dry but an interesting variation on the standard route. There is also a bonus peak on that ridge with a sign-in can.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. Anyone know how long it's been since this trail received any attention? It's been a mess beyond the Creek crossing for a long time.
Sean

Post by Sean »

David R wrote: This trail needs some major love to get back in shape.
If anyone is interested in clearing rocks off this trail, let me know. We can spend two days out there before the snow comes, and/or a couple days next spring/summer.

SAM_3378.JPG
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote:
David R wrote: This trail needs some major love to get back in shape.
If anyone is interested in clearing rocks off this trail, let me know. We can spend two days out there before the snow comes, and/or a couple days next spring/summer.

SAM_3378.JPG
A trundling party!