Rest In Peace, Richard Nyerges

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

"See you on the mountain"

"...It was a sudden accident where fell while he was on the San Gabriel River bed near the 605 freeway. He wanted to do some Geocaching while I ran to the store. With apprehension, he took a Razor Scooter (non-motorized) thinking it would speed up his time so we could meet up to finish our errands before attending my daughters birthday party. I don't believe he was on the path very long before the accident occurred.

Today is the autopsy to confirm if he had a heart attack and then fell down the cement river bank or did he trip and fall and the fall caused the heart attack..."

Richard in 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU2ekLCEPeA

-
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

The trails will suffer greatly with this loss. I worked with him only a few times, but he taught me a lot about trailwork. He was a true leader. I remember being so impressed with how much he could accomplish with a trail crew in a short amount of time.

He loved Bear Canyon. I believe it broke his heart to see it so changed from the fire.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Aw, crap. That really sucks. The trails have lost an advocate.

RIP, Richard.

HJ
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Richard... You will be missed

Thank you for your service and passion

You've sown the seed in someone who'll take up the oar
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

Devastating loss for the family (lost a son to bike accident 3months ago), the forrest and all the people that came in contact with Richard through his outing trips and the trail work he did on various places in the forrest. He was like a forrest himself, welcomed everyone and cared for everyone to have a great time and to help you appreciate being in the forrest.
Richard took on as a volunteer leader, one of the most challenging, long abandoned, the beautiful Bear Canyon Trail to rebuild so all kinds of people can have access to the camp from Switzers and Markham Saddle. Building a trail on the canyon floor is the most demanding trail job. You are constantly bombarded from above with trees, soil and boulders falling down on the trail path. Come winter time, the rushing stream water erodes or washes away sections of the trail that Richard and crew labored for hours to complete. Still, his constant dedication to this enchanting place, he returned with the crew year after year to repair the damaged trail. Richard did not have to work on the trails, he was a strong, able man that could have gone anywhere in the forrest with or without a trail, but he would always say " we need to give something back " as a thank you to the forrest for allowing us to be in this natural forrest bliss .
He coordinated lots of training sessions to help the volunteers become better workers with the trail maintenance work. He also volunteered at the San Bernardino Forrest and took us many times on some beautiful hikes all over that forrest. I went with Richard on my first trek to Iron Mt, we did the whole one day Gabrielino trail , he also took us to Mt Witney for a great one day hike and many other treks that made you feel so happy and lucky to have seen that part of the forrest.
Richard was all the time pleasant, caring, wanting you to have a great time in the forrest. He would go to Echo Mt on New Years day and cook gourmet omelets for at least 30 people! as a thank you for helping out with the trail work. After a while you realized that this "giving back" uplifted your psyche, enlightened you and transformed your view of yourself, the forrest and other people in a more refined and caring person......
RIP Richard, you will always be with us every time we visit that little magic place, the Bear Canyon.....
muddeer

Post by muddeer »

He will be missed by many and his work appreciated by many more....
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Thanks for the stories of this man. Thank God for people like this.... people who care and give back. Bear Canyon is a place I've never been.

Thanks Mr Nyerges. Rest in Peace
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Richard Nyerges memorial services:

DATE: DECEMBER 18 (SUNDAY)
TIME: 02:00 p.m.

AT: CABOT AND SONS
27 Chestnut street
Pasadena, CA 91103
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

Sad news.