Cucamonga canyon 11/25

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Hike to the last waterfall....started off at Bella Vista St onto Skyline and then up the Cucamonga truck trail...then down and off to see the waterfall.
Most of this route has a use trail, but its not that simple....close to the truck trail, the creek narrows down in a short canyon and in high water would be tough to pass...this part is where the graffiti ends too :D
A few neat campsites on the way there and the waterfall is excellent.
Rather than try to climb around it, I just took the opposite ridge(class 3 slope traverse difficuluty of a 7 out of 10) up a distance. This ridge was to be uncomfortable for my taste so I went back down and my camera dropped out at the very end to its demise.... :( All in all I would say this is a San Gabriel canyoneering must-do, even though its not that challenging or scenic except at the waterfall section.

A short distance from the trail....hmmm..canyon 8)
The boulder field with Ontario Peak up top....this particular part has one short but heavy brushy gully to be passed.
The end(or beginning) of the boulder field and a good place to camp since there is a nice flat rock here. Going up canyon from here the use trail is a hard left all the way to the extreme left canyon wall.
Last falls
To climb or?
last falls from opposite ridge with log spanning anchor with neon green webbing
above the waterfall/narrows
down canyon towards civilization...
seasonal tributary waterfall
upcanyon just before the waterfall
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That big waterfall is gorgeous. Miguel F and I did the lower part of Cucamonga Canyon last year. It was pretty terrible... tons of graffiti, tons of people (though everybody was cool), tons of trash. I would like to do all of Cucamonga Cyn from the saddle between Bighorn and Cuca Peak one of these summers...

Thanks AW
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I saw that graffiti from the Cuc truck trail a whole back. It looks like a lot!!