Hall-Beckley Cyn via alt-alt drop-in

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hall-Beckley Cyn via alt-alt drop-in

I'd wanted to explore some options for an alternate drop-in for this drop-in to the one we've been using, which is alternate to the one listed in the beta.

http://www.dankat.com/advents/halbec.htm

The clouds where low making finding a decent spot to go down, but we feel this worked out..

This is very very steep (70°+) with lots of loose rocks.

Shortly down our start a rappel was required. This was the only anchor we placed but we did rap 2-3 more times. Most of the chaparral is dead from the fire and we don't expect anyone will doing this again anytime soon.

The rap dropped me into a narrow slot , putting me right in the fall line with no where to go :( But we where in the watercourse and started down.

Looking up the sides it looked worse than where we where going but that is relative, you'd have to rappel and hope your rope didn't get damaged or getting knocked off the bean with a large rock.

Fortunately it became less steep in the watercourse and wider as we approached the main channel of Hall-Beckley ( below the 30ft drop and above the canyon @ 2930ft)

The consensus is "We did it, so you don't have to". As to a alternate drop-in for canyoneering hall-beckley cyn, The canyon walls are so steep and loose, without any chaparral it is too dangerous, risking getting creamed by a falling rock or stepping on the wrong thing and falling with nothing to stop you except the canyon floor, far below.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Isn't it great coming to that consensus after you do something new? :lol:

Looks like a nice canyon though. Good to see you out and about, Matt. Cheers.