Not-So-Big Baldy Loop 11-19-11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Phil (lik2hik) and I hiked up Baldy Saturday with thoughts of a Iron Mtn yo-yo, but we wimped out when we got a taste of the arctic winds blowing in from the west. Plus, the San Antonio Ridge was pretty well socked in and there would be little or no of that solar heat stuff I've become so fond of.
So instead, we headed in the other direction along the Devil's Backbone and 3T's trails, playing tag with the sun along the way. We encountered a few micro snow flurries at the higher elevations and by the time we hit the Icehouse parking lot and started the march back up to Manker, there was light rain and mist--a precursor to the incoming storm system. Mileage for the day was ~18, with 7K' of up.
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 083278827/
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Sorry I missed you guys, Jeff S., Shin, Frank, Richard P were up there and we missed them, then Ty and I came along, funny three groups from this board were on the mountain at the same time and we all missed each other :cry:, that wind would have made the traverse very interesting, glad you decided to change it up, never know when the clouds will rise up and sock you in completely.

Nice pictures - hope to see you guys soon :D
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

lilbitmo wrote: funny three groups from this board were on the mountain at the same time and we all missed each other :cry:,
Just goes to show you ....something....!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

TracieB wrote:
lilbitmo wrote: funny three groups from this board were on the mountain at the same time and we all missed each other :cry:,
Just goes to show you ....something....!
Hey now, were you hiding in the bushes and I just didn't know it :wink: :roll:

See you soon :D
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

lilbitmo wrote: Sorry I missed you guys, Jeff S., Shin, Frank, Richard P were up there and we missed them, then Ty and I came along, funny three groups from this board were on the mountain at the same time and we all missed each other.
Nice pictures - hope to see you guys soon :D
Not if I see you first! :lol:

Just kidding, Patrick! We prolly left a little earlier than you (5:30a) since we had the traverse in mind. Speaking of running into other hikers, I was surprised at the rush hour conditions heading down the Icehouse Canyon trail, considering that it wasn't exactly a "bluebird" day.
turtle

Post by turtle »

Wow... those are really nice pictures!

They remind me that it's getting to be that time of year. Need to get up to Baldy sometime soon!
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Love the clouds, Dave to the G. We need to get out and about again.