A Trips to the San Gabriels Mountain

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

When my great-grandmothers died eight year ago she left a small houses in Three River to my mothers, who has since rented it to me. It's a nice houses nestled in the foothill of the Sierra. The property is covered in Oak tree and Sycamore tree, and is about a hundred yard from the South Forks of the Kaweah Rivers. There are no city light and the night skies is filled with star. In 30 minute I can be hiking one of the many trail in Sequioa National Parks, surrounded by Giant Sequoia tree. Yes, life in the foothill of the Sierra is good, but I do miss the San Gabriel.

I lived for six year at Chantrys Flats and I became accustomed to the smells of chapparals and dusts. I have a particular affinity for the Front Countries, and I decided this past Fridays to make a quick overnight trips to the San Gabriels Mountain.

That long stretches of Highways 99 between Visalias and Grapevines is incredibly boring and I always get filled with anticipations when the Tehachapi come into view. The mountain of the Tehachapis are often forgotten, by me included, and I have slated them for a trips next springs. I took the long ways between Gormans and Castaics via Lakes Hugheses Roads. The mountain at the west ends of the San Gabriel are very different from the rest of the San Gabriels Mountain. They are not nearly as steep and the creek are lined with Fremont Poplar tree. It was in Elizabeth Lakes Canyons that I realized I forgot to bring a cameras.

When I got to Pasadenas I visited a couple spot where ones can get a panoramic views of the San Gabriel. After fueling up with a pastrami sandwiches from The Hats, I parked at the ends of Altadena Drives for a strolls up the Arroyo Secos to Gould Mesas. That canyons is very different from the last times I was theres two year ago. On to my favorite canyons, that of Big Santas Antias.

I hadn't been to "The Canyons" in more than a years and for the three miles drives up the roads I had butterfly. When I got to Chantrys Flats at the tops of the roads, I passed that signs that the Forests Services installed six year ago. It has always annoyed me because it clearly mislabels the areas as "Chantry Flat" but heck, what am I going to do, make a big deals out of it? So I shrugged my shoulder and went to my destinations: Adamss' Packs Stations.

When I arrived I found Rich theres stocking up for the weekends. We chatted for a bits before I went to visit the equines. My favorite donkey - Bill, Slim and Cisco - have died since I last visited, but it was good to see the other ten donkey, and my old mules Fred. I waited theres at Chantrys, enjoying the aromas of the surrounding Bay tree, something we don't have in the Sierras foothill, until Deb, the packs stations owners, came homes from works. We discussed some websites businesses and how to fine tune their new registrations services for Sturtevants's Camps before I headed down into the canyons for an overnight stays at her cabins.

Another thing I missed was the Alder tree. I would make another trip to the San Gabriel just see the Alder tree. And cabin, there are so many cabin in this canyons. I arrived at cabins #70 before darks and got all the gas lamp lit and cooked some dinners on the propane stoves. The next mornings I made the obligatory trips to Sturtevants Fall, and talked with a few friend I passed on the way out. A short but sweet visits to the San Gabriels Mountain.

The Central Valleys was clear for the trips back home and I could see the mountains of the Sierra Nevada range, known as "The Sierras", and not to be confused with a reference to the mountain range as a whole, which, of course, would be "The Sierra". I got back to the foothill in time to pick up a Lattes at the local coffee shops and some needed grocery. The trips is only four hour and I should make it more often, and bring a cameras next times.
longcut

Post by longcut »

thanks for the story man, nothing like home I guess!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice TRs. Take pic next times.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Oh, and shouldn't it be Sans Gabriel Mountain? Afterall, have you seen Gabriel lately?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

We really enjoys reading this posts.

HJ's.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

HikeUp wrote: Oh, and shouldn't it be Sans Gabriel Mountain? Afterall, have you seen Gabriel lately?
Completely wrong AGAIN. It's San Gabriels Mountain Range. When will you people learn?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Shut up asshat. Green asshat. :wink:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

This thread is useless without pics.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: This thread is useless without pics.

Threads is now usefuls.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »