Backpacking in mid October??

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

Any suggestions for backpacking with kids in mid-October? I would like to do Kelly’s Camp, but I am afraid it might be too cold by that time. Also thinking East Fork or Middle Fork Lytle Creek. Any input would be appreciated so that I can avoid spoiling the trip with freezing temps. Thanks!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I'd keep an eye on temperatures. You may get really good weather; you may get really cold weather. Sometimes it's over 100F in October; sometimes it snows.

Middle fork and Kellys are both nice spots if the weather is looking good.

East fork would be a bit lower and therefore a bit warmer, but you're also in a drainage. Cold air often flows down drainages from above.

If I wanted a warmer spot, I might consider Hoegees or Spruce Grove near Chantry Flats.

Henninger Flats is another one that's relatively low altitude.

Mt. Lowe Trail Camp is further in, but still isn't super high.

Idlehour Trail camp is fairly low, but there's a lot of poison oak.

One can also camp at the site of Switzer's Camp.

I can list several others of that ilk, but I think you get the idea: stay low if it's getting cold at night higher up.

HJ
longcut

Post by longcut »

I'm going family backpacking in October also. A little chilly weather is probably not too big a deal for us as long as its not all gloomy and wet. But check out sespe creek. there no real high peaks above it so there's not as much cold wind blowing through from above. it was a very nice hike, mostly flat with nice views. If it does get really hot, let the kids go for a swim!
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

Great suggestions! I will definitely watch the weather and make a decision once it gets closer. Thanks to both of you