20110911 FFIAD

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Fish Fork In A Day.

Our goal was to do Fish Fork in a day. My definition of that varies from doing it without bivies nonstop regardless of how many hours it took, or doing the entire trip in under 24 hours. Either way, the goal was accomplished with a total time of around 19 hours car to car.

We started at Lupine Camp at 0400, got to Lower Fish Fork Camp in Fish Fork at 0600, got to the East Fork around 1500, and back to the cars around 2300 I think? About 19 hours total. To get out, we hiked up EF to Prairie Fork, which we took back up to the car. That was tough. Cougarmagic made cairns for us, so we were able to find our way back without too much drama. That canyon/fork is difficult to navigate in the dark.

This was my 3rd time down this canyon. Me, if you're reading this, stop going here. :-) No, seriously, that's enough.

My ninjas Zach and Mark will add more when they get the chance.

Some pics

F for FF!

In we go

R2

Aysel and Zach in the back doing jumping jacks

See Mark. See Mark disappear. See Mark get really really cold.

Chocolate!

Scott on rapp

Zach-o-lantern

Scott on the big rapp

Boom

Mark on next rapp

Koopah Troopah!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work everyone - this will be on my list to do once, so chances are you will go back ( :wink: with me someday) but it can wait.

Can we now rename the canyon "No Rescue's needed Canyon" :shock:

Or Coffee is waiting at the other end canyon :roll:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

lilbitmo wrote: Nice work everyone - this will be on my list to do once, so chances are you will go back ( :wink: with me someday) but it can wait.

Can we now rename the canyon "No Rescue's needed Canyon" :shock:

Or Coffee is waiting at the other end canyon :roll:
Nah Patrick, remove it from the list... trust me. :-) The smiley face there is for real, but I'm not kidding. :-)
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Can we now rename the canyon "No Rescue's needed Canyon" Shocked
Your timing on this comment was sublime - but will let Turtle tell the story. :)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

uhhhhh.... no snake pictures?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice little walk you guys had
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I think I'll do it next weekend. Do I need a rope or something?
Zach

Post by Zach »

There needs to be a zipline from the end of the last rapp to the confluence... and then another back to a parking lot somewhere... but seriously, I had a great time. The canyon had changed since my last visit. Lots of big rains cleared some sections and even changed the chockstone rapp a bit from what I remember it being (which is scary to think about because that chockstone is HUGE). Water level was almost exactly the same as last year but felt a tad colder (probably because of our 0400 start time. Doing the canyon in a day is doable but probably not as enjoyable as the alternative. The best alternate solution would be to have someone waiting with bivy gear or whatnot at the confluence of the FF and EF. If you're planning a trip out there my advice would be to go on the hottest day of the year. I had an awesome trip. My thanks to Taco, Mark, Aysel and Scott for making this such an awesome adventure.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Yer all nuts! :lol:
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Of the earth's population, how many could do what you guys did? Not many. It is always good to see what is humanly possible. The pictures are great.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Nice! I'll be going there sometime....but it will have to be at a cooler temp.Looking forward to it.
Zach

Post by Zach »

AW wrote: Nice! I'll be going there sometime....but it will have to be at a cooler temp.Looking forward to it.

lolwut?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Zach wrote:
AW wrote: Nice! I'll be going there sometime....but it will have to be at a cooler temp.Looking forward to it.

lolwut?
He wants it to suck more. :lol:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Taco wrote:
Zach wrote:

lolwut?
Ack...cold=good, heat=bad for me....however, too much of a good thing can be bad :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

There's no hot in there, just on the hike out.
turtle

Post by turtle »

Taco wrote:
Zach wrote:
lolwut?
That shouldn't be hard. It's definitely sucking, alright.

And is that Zach's Fish Fork gang sign I see at the end?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

LOL, yup!

Also:
tpfishnfool

Post by tpfishnfool »

Dave G wrote: Yer all nuts! :lol:

DITTO....
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Oh yeah, BTW, I saw a pretty big trout this time instead of just little bastards. About a foot long.