Speed traps

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

A friend (not me) said they where cited by the highway patrol for speeding on angeles crest highway sunday before last

This was somewhere below Dawson Saddle and above Islip Saddle

The kicker is he was going below (40mph) the posted speed limit (45mph) and it was doubled for a construction zone.

It was related to me the officer said the speed limit in the area was 25mph even though there are no signs saying so.

I encouraged my friend (who has the time) to fight it.

I saw no signs relating to speed limit at 25mph nor did my friend

I don't know what CVC section(s) where cited but it seems bogus to me
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I was up there yesterday and there were lots of cops. There was a speed trap right at the end/beginning of Angeles Crest when you're almost all the way out.

I noticed there was a 25 mph sign in the construction zones (the one place with the temporary light, and the other place with the cones) but yeah, other than that the speed limits seemed normal.

I can't wait till summer's over, I hope they leave the road alone for a while after that...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Torrey and I went for a cruise up there and only saw one CHP bike dude. I was surprised we didn't see more.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS FIGHT THE TICKET!!!! ALWAYS! There is NO reason why you shouldn't, even if you think you'll lose!!!!!!!!! ALWAYS!!!! Take it from me, I've been there done that a buncha times. If you don't fight it, you're guaranteed to lose. Those are pretty bad odds! If you do, there's a good chance you'll win!

Fight it!
everyday

Post by everyday »

i never fought the 2 ive gotten, one was for going 82, and one for 70 in a 45, i figure im just VERY lucky theyve never been around when im going over 100, so im more than happy to take the 70mph tix! :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

everyday wrote: i never fought the 2 ive gotten, one was for going 82, and one for 70 in a 45, i figure im just VERY lucky theyve never been around when im going over 100, so im more than happy to take the 70mph tix! :D
You betta check yoself before you wreck yoself. :lol:
everyday

Post by everyday »

LOL, that's pretty funny coming from you, Mr. GMR time-attack guy
cab

Post by cab »

I got pulled over on ACH just where it starts to get really windy above La Crescenta. There was a motorcycle cop standing in a pullout with a radar gun. He said he stopped me because 1) I didn't have my headlights on (I had just passed a day headlight area sign - which I ignored becuase I couldn't think of a possible reason to have headlights on there during the daytime - Any ideas???) and 2) I was 5 mph over the speed limit - He said, "We have a zero tolerance policy here on the Crest."

I didn't get a ticket, was there for less than a minute, and as I was pulling out, he was already pulling over the next car heading up the road. I assume this is a pretty regular checkpoint and I guess they do it for safety reaons, not necessarily to hand out tickets, but be careful.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Argh.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

cab wrote: I couldn't think of a possible reason to have headlights on there during the daytime - Any ideas???
I believe this is related to head-on collision statistics on two-lane and thin-median'd dual carriageways. Apparently there are less collisions if you have your lights on.

If you travel smaller roads more often you'll "Daytime Headlight" areas frequently.

Or, of course it may just be the politicians trying vainly to do something, anything, to reduce crashes on a strip of highway.

As far as ignoring black on white signs... Take what you want, but pay the price.