Silver Peak... rattle snake tells us to stop

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Headed out with a friend and his son who was in town for a few days and our sights were set on silver peak on the north side of Big Bear. Its on the Hundred Peaks section here http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/guides/21i.htm . It sounded fun and its just about 20 miles from the house. We headed out a bit later than we wanted to, we left the house about 7am. After we found the trail head we head out in the wrong direction. The area has been washed out pretty good from rains and run off. About .6 miles in we figured out we had taken the wrong route.
We got back to where we felt was the right area and just started heading towards the white on the side of the hill. From what we had read we had to head to the white area then head up the canyon. the canyon just to the right of the white spot is where you scramble up to the spur ridge then over to the east to the summit
We past a lot of cool thing on the way there.
But after some bush wacking we were to the white area.
Time to watch a little TV, I hope Jerry Springer is on..
The white area
Heading up the canyon
At the middle of canyon you come to this mine
At this mine is where I jumped like a winner on the price is right and screamed like a girl on steroids. I was about to put my foot down and this guy shook his maraca
He headed down in his hole, but then his or her little ones came out and went into the mine
After tossing a few small rocks we heard the sounds of maracas here and there so we decided that this was far enough. Well they made the decision for us. We turned around and headed out thinking maybe November would be a better time. :shock:
It was still a great day out and we found a lot of trash if anyone needs anything, and a rock with a painting on it.

Thanks for looking

PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

yobtaf: "Look, mine!"

snake: "No, mine"
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

PackerGreg wrote: yobtaf: "Look, mine!"

snake: "No, mine"
you got that right. :lol:

We didn't see any boot tracks at all along the way, but I have never seen so many critter tracks. Our tire tracks were the only ones on the road heading in. :shock:
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Cool shelter!
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Very nice report and pictures. Especially liked the snake pictures. A bit far north for them, but your crotalus looks an awful lot like a c. ruber ; the Red Diamondback.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hey Elwood, that snake is a C. mitchelli, speckled rattlesnake ... common on that side of Big Bear.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Thank you for the correction. I slither corrected.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/p ... rrhus.html

ok here are a bunch of pics of the speckled rattlesnake.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

here is one more pic