swimming holes

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

summer is coming and its always good to no a spot to get away from the heat.can any of you hikers recommend i good spot.

near hoagee's

fish canyon

east fork
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

All I know are some spots in East Fork, especially up in the Narrows beyond the Bridge to Nowhere. Oh, and Crystal Lake... if that's safe... kinda wierd (not a swimming guy myself).
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

San Gabriel Resevior has good waterskiing
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hermit Falls, which is very close to Chantry Flats is good.
There's a great pool in Devil's Canyon, but it's a tough hike to get to.
There's a great pool in the Arroyo Seco, maybe a mile down stream from Sturtevant falls.
Santa Paula Creek near Thomas Aquinas College has some of the best pools I've seen anywhere around here.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

A friend near Santa Clarita went to Tar Creek two weeks ago and said it was way better than these pics. http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/slides/tarcrk.htm

Tar Creek is off the 126 just west of Filmore. Said he found frogs and a turtle and big pools. EZ to get to, no ropes and such.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2 ... tar-creek/
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Dudley Heinsbergen wrote:San Gabriel Resevior has good waterskiing
Not very crowded, either. 8)
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

hermit falls---i like that one only its a lot of work after you jump to get back up especially since i always got youngsters with me

devils canyon----ive been only as far as the trail camp.where abouts is the hole you speak of ???

sturtevant falls----i cant recall anything downstream that i can think of besides those lil pools at the bottom of the damns...

santa paula creek is awesome...

i have never been to tar creek...maybe this weekend i'll hit it
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:There's a great pool in the Arroyo Seco, maybe a mile down stream from Sturtevant falls.
I think Jim meant to say a mile down stream from Switzer Falls.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:There's a great pool in the Arroyo Seco, maybe a mile down stream from Sturtevant falls.
I think Jim meant to say a mile down stream from Switzer Falls.
Doh!

Yes, Switzer. Sorry. Between the base of the falls and the trail coming out of Bear Canyon.

Upper Devil's Canyon Falls (and pool) are a couple of miles downstream from where the trail from Angeles Crest Hwy comes into the canyon. It's not one for kids. To get to the base of the falls, and the pool, you have to down climb some exposed (not bad, but exposed) class 3, although supposedly there's a way to climb around the falls on a ridge and then back track to the pool below falls.
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

FIGHT ON wrote:A friend near Santa Clarita went to Tar Creek two weeks ago and said it was way better than these pics. http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/slides/tarcrk.htm

Tar Creek is off the 126 just west of Filmore. Said he found frogs and a turtle and big pools. EZ to get to, no ropes and such.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2 ... tar-creek/
I realize this thread is a few months old but I found some cool vids showing Tar Creek, on Youtube.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

"The Mountains are the means, the man is the end; the idea is to improve the man, not to reach the top of the mountain." "The Mountains are the means, the man is the end; the idea is to improve the man, not to reach the top of the mountain." "The Mountains are the means, the man is the end; the idea is to improve the man, not to reach the top of the mountain."

don't get me started.
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

FIGHT ON wrote:A friend near Santa Clarita went to Tar Creek two weeks ago and said it was way better than these pics.
In researching this hike, I found the following:

Reviewed by NPS on 4/18/2008
According to rangers at the Ojai Ranger District of Los Padres NF, the access to this hike (via Goodenough Rd) will be closed until "mid Fall". Bummer!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Goodenough Road is a bit fun when taken too fast. :shock:
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »