6.24.11 - waterman via waterman trail/waterman road

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Got out on a great hike today, up waterman via the waterman trail (near buckhorn) and down the maintenance road. It's been over a year since I was up there and it felt like I was meeting an old friend! What a fun little mountain, that Waterman is!

Lots and lots and lots of snowplants, just as someone else posted last week. Also, there is now a fun little cairn near the hidden USGS marker, so that people can find it (I wonder where that came from... ). Bugs weren't too bad but when I'd encounter a miniswarm of black flies, they couldn't care less about my Coleman Skin Smart repellent. That stuff totally sucks, but now I know.

I threw a TR up on the site: http://pasadenahiker.wordpress.com/2011 ... rman-road/

MattCav

Post by MattCav »

by the way, has anyone ever bouldered on waterman? the summit had a few problems but it seemed like halfway up the road had some really sweet 30-40 footers.

this one was about 40' tall.

rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

I was quite intrigued by the potential up there. The rock reminds me of Horse Flats (ever been up there?). North of the summit there is a large block, there was a large party of hikers having their lunch by it though so I held off investigating. It is a leisurely hike up there I can always go back.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

ya know, I was scouting Friday and drove by Horse Flats (but didn't stop). What is the hiking like in that area? I know its a big bouldering area.
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

There is a fun loop (3 miles round trip) that crosses the top of Mt Hillyer with great views of Mt Pacifico. The trail wanders through a large boulder field that horse thieves used to use as a hide out after stealing horses down in the desert to the north. If you've never been it is worth a look and explore of the trail, you'll be surprised what you find.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks man, i'll give that a shot!
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Let me know when you go up, if I can swing it I'll tag along (if you don't mind).
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

will do!