Mt. Lowe Road (2N50)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
turtle

Post by turtle »

Does anyone know if stretch of the Mt. Lowe Fireroad between Eaton Saddle and Markham Saddle (passing through the Mueller Tunnel) is open?

I've heard from Jake that it's passable, but is it officially open? Last time Jake was up there (a few months ago) there was still signage stating that it was closed. Has anyone been buy more recently?

Thanks!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Is hasn't been repaired as far as I know. I've seen a couple of recent mentions about FHA funding to repair it and that it is still closed.

http://www.modernhiker.com/2011/05/16/f ... n-the-anf/

I haven't seen it personally so...fwiw and all that
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

This sign was posted at Markham saddle (or whatever that area's called) on 5/28/11.

I didn't venture past that sign to see the status of Mueller Tunnel, but I assume the only progress made is the installation of closed-trail signs.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I was up there a couple weeks ago and it was still closed. It didn't look like they were even trying to fix it so I don't imagine it'll be open for a while.

But I agree that it's passable. There's two big washouts. One right after the tunnel and one a little further after that. And then, as stated above, it's open at the saddle past that sign. The closure is maybe half a mile?
turtle

Post by turtle »

Thanks everyone for the prompt and informative replies!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

blueshammer wrote: This sign was posted at Markham saddle (or whatever that area's called) on 5/28/11.

I didn't venture past that sign to see the status of Mueller Tunnel, but I assume the only progress made is the installation of closed-trail signs.
That is indeed Markham Saddle.

How much rockfall is still coming down on the west side of the tunnel? I generally couldn't care less about a washout unless it's something really extreme, but rockfall? No thanks (unless Taco's along; then I'm good). :wink:

HJ
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

I saw it two days ago and it was much more passable than it was a few weeks ago... however, theres tons of signage saying its off limits, like everyone else has said.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Was up there today. I expect in about a month Mueller Tunnel will be officially open. They said the goal is about two weeks. Spoke with some of the guys working on it. They want to get her done. Looking good. Recent rain and show has held them back. Have a few pics - don't know how to post.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Good news! Thanks.

HJ
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

shreddy wrote: Have a few pics - don't know how to post.
depends on if you Attach File or use a file on a web page or other web hosted image

click on the Img between List=, & URL

here I clicked on Img then Rt-clk'ed on the wesite's image and copied the image location. Pasted that value after the {img} BBCode and then clicked on the *Img to close the BBCode

You can upload an image too using Attach File

lower right of the Post a reply editor

Hope this is clear as mud...
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I see the mud!

Thanks for sharing
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Those safety fences appear to the most dangerous things there.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I was up there Saturday. Still got a big sign saying that things are closed.

HJ
VermillionPearlGirl

I may have wandered by there this morning and it looks totally and completely done. There's no safety fences. The slide is completely gone and looks like it was never there. Everything seems totally well and good. Not sure why it's still closed.

FYI, yeah, the signs are still up and it's still 'closed'.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

the're out citing people for BS :evil:
dgrimreaper

Post by dgrimreaper »

Been a month since the last update and almost three since it was supposed to open in "two weeks". Any idea if the tunnel is open or anyone have any new updates? Thanks.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

dgrimreaper wrote: Been a month since the last update and almost three since it was supposed to open in "two weeks". Any idea if the tunnel is open or anyone have any new updates? Thanks.
I was up there on 3-11-12 and the tunnel is open - no closure signs, etc. Open for business.

Will post a Mt. Lowe TR in a little bit.
dgrimreaper

Post by dgrimreaper »

Nice. Been a while since I hit the trails, so that'll be a good place to start. Thanks for the response!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mueller Tunnel on the Sunset Ridge Fire Road (2N501) has taken a beating lately for whatever reason. I imagine that loss of vegetation due to the Station Fire has played a factor.

The rock pile at the west entrance of the tunnel is a little smaller and more navigable than when I last saw it, but there's still a pretty good rock pile there.

The cement casement above the tunnel has just taken an absolute beating though. Maybe as much as 4' deep is gone over a 12' section of the casing.

The west side of the road has had a lot of rock come down on it.

The east side (between Eaton Saddle and Mueller Tunnel) is in equally bad shape and is impassible to fire trucks (OK for motorcycles and bicycles).

The old cliff trail which hasn't been used since the 30's is still hanging in there. The uprights of the old railings are still there too.

There's a sign post in the middle of the road at Markham Saddle. I suppose it must have held a sign saying "road closed" or something.

Some losers spray painted the water tank at Markham Saddle. I'm pretty sure the tank used to say "Markham Saddle" on it, but it looks like it's been painted over.

The "Brutal Poodle" (poodle dog bush, i.e. Turricula Parryi) is all over the place. Beware!

HJ
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks for the post jim. this is one of my favorite parts of the ANF. bummer to see it a bit beaten up, but still nice to see it nonetheless. i used to hike up to lowe, mueller, and san gabriel peak from lake ave; still one of my all time fave hikes, even in spite of that poodle.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

4/12/2008 before Station Fire...

9/11/2011 large section of retaining wall collapsed...

3/11/2012 retaining wall and road repaired...

10/12/2013 HJ's pic shows debris still falling off mountain...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Yes, this post had a sign on it 2 years ago (see last pic below)...

Tank was clean 2 years ago (see last pic below)...

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Wow! I know that west tunnel entrance had taken a beating, but I hadn't realized that it was as bad as that one photo where the retaining wall was gone. It looks like there's some kind of concrete road bed under there.

Interesting that they repaired it but then let it go again.

The Valley Forge Trail was at one time a road, basically an extension of the road coming into Eaton Saddle from Markham Saddle etc. It wasn't really needed though because one can just drive down the Mt. Wilson Rd to Red Box and then take the West Fork Road to Valley Forge.

The section going west from Eaton Saddle is not as easy to find an alternate route. The only alternative is to drive up from the bottom.

HJ
VermillionPearlGirl

Sigh. I feel like they only just fixed this (I guess it was months ago now but it seemed kind of recent). Guess it's just a bad spot these days. Thanks for the update!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The retaining structure still looks good to me...they just need to scrape the surface clean and they are good to go.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote: The retaining structure still looks good to me...they just need to scrape the surface clean and they are good to go.
Pretty much although it's a bit disturbing that the lip on the casement above the tunnel is gone. That lip would catch a lot of the routine small to mid sized rocks that come down. Now... you're on your own.

HJ
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

What I know is that "Brutal Poodle" is now part of my lexicon.
(PERFECT!)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

lol. I thought that was kinda catchy.

Beware the brutal poodle!

HJ
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Thanks for posting these Mueller Tunnel update pics! Such an interesting spot/apex in the San Gabriel's...

And that Cliff Trail !!! :shock: That's a tight little sucker... would love to see any/more old time photos of that ledge...

Good thing there's no waterfalls too close to the Cliff Trail - it might attract more Eaton Canyon rookie-types looking for the next adventure :roll: