6.1.11 - devil's canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

got out to devil's canyon for the first time ever. twas a beautiful day and a beautiful hike. i put up some pics on the ol' blog: http://pasadenahiker.wordpress.com/2011 ... ls-canyon/

anyone been around that area much before? how easy is it to hike down to cogswell from there?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I've only hiked down to the camp once (4/26/2007). Been wanting to do the Devils Cyn thing for a while.

Chris Brennen has two TR's I'd like to combine "devils Cyn Loop" & "Lower Devils Cyn"

the shuttle at the end has always been a major hiccup...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Very nice! I had not been there in many years. Sorry to say I remember it being a dark, shady and cool hike and it doesn't look to be that way anymore. Still a special place though. I'm glad you got there, and posted some pics. I've been curious too.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

One alternative that's been proposed is to exit up west forl to shortcut-rincon road to shortcut pass...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

MattCav wrote: got out to devil's canyon for the first time ever. twas a beautiful day and a beautiful hike. i put up some pics on the ol' blog: http://pasadenahiker.wordpress.com/2011 ... ls-canyon/

anyone been around that area much before? how easy is it to hike down to cogswell from there?
Not so easy.

Take a look at this topo map of Devils Canyon.
"A" = Trailhead
"B" = Trail camp and end of official trail
"C" = Falls.

Note that the water features are poorly printed on this map; they're off set a bit to the west. Therefore the blue line stream is flowing up hill and other fun (impossible) things.

The spot marked "falls" is actually two falls. You can bypass or down climb the first falls without any gear.

The second falls is pretty much technical only -- or at least I've never heard of anyone doing it without technical means. It would be a pretty cool route to get all the way down to Cogswell.

The pool at the bottom of the first falls is one of the biggest that I know of in the San Gabs and is an excellent swimming hole -- at least it used to be before the fire.

Thanks for a good TR,

HJ
norma r

Post by norma r »

:) that didn't look devilish. nice.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

That's way helpful info, Jim... thanks!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I didnt see a quick way to avoid the falls....and the falls are technical...and if you want to avoid getting wet, you are talking harness and rope for a 90degree drop. The easiest way would be to just jump the falls.

And if anyone is wondering just how non-avoidable the falls obstacle is, here is a picture downstream from 'dont look down' ridge. The west side of the canyon is hundreds of vertical feet and the east side is as well.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Second falls from below.
MattCav wrote: how easy is it to hike down to cogswell from there?
Like I say, not so easy.

HJ
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Nice TR! Glad to hear the 2 is opening up!