Airplane Flats and Bridge To Nowhere Memorial Day 2011

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I arrived at upper Airplane Flats at 10:00 am. To get there didnt start off too well. Right away there was smoke brewing from Heaton Flats, one of 4 fires that day. A lot of people along the East Fork, several in differing stages of lost. The river was moving fast as well, setting up some possible mishaps. I suppose the example of the day was 2 women handlining down the cliff at the very end of the highway. Someone installed some clips into the near vertical cliff side to guide the hardware store rope...anyways after I asked them how they planned on getting back up, they had a bewildered look. Although they werent shook up as I was when the one on top started down while the other one was midway :shock: At this particular section(the third crossing), the river course has changed dramatically.

Back at Airplane Flats, I should have gone up further, but decided instead to check out the flats. To get to pk3414(mid flats) requires a long detour to stay brush freeish. Then from there is a steep rock scramble down to the lower flats. A hiker on the bridge spotted me and yelled out hello to me, now about 200ft of elevation away. I didnt see a way down without dislodging rocks below so I returned the same way I came....down jello legs ridge.

Some more testing of the camera in the high water and then return back to Heaton Flats. A 40min explore up Laurel Gulch was a waste of time...too little water and too much accumulated debris. Also along the east fork setup a webbing line across 1-2 ft deep water that a particular group was too nervous to cross....also saw someone with 2 tall hiking sticks trying to cross in deep water and took a dunk...scary, but they got a firm grip on the bottom of the river and were able to get getup quickly.

Ze :D slope shot along the contour of the scree slope to pk3414.

Iron Mtn-westside

pk3414 on the right(huge summit push :wink:), towards Ross Mtn on the left

BTN from above

river below

west from midAirplane Flats

this snake was waiting for me on the way down by playing dead...like Im going to buy that. I caught him on the move from below.

BTN from downstream

BTN from below

Obstacle#1(although it was #2 from high water) below the bridge(easier to go on the left of this boulder)

post obstacle#2

final stretch

Laurel Gulch

Speed of travel in the river(apologize for my gloves blocking the view for 20 secs there)
[/
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Dang that looks cold. You gots to have your water don't you? :D

"jello legs ridge" aka "elvis legs"
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

hey AW, good post as always. how deep was the deepest crossing?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Laurel Gulch is quite nice. I remember that waterfall rather well. You downclimb right through it without getting wet.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I love that chalky-blue water! Good job getting away from the hordes on a holiday weekend. I also liked "Various stages of lost" :lol:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

MattCav wrote: hey AW, good post as always. how deep was the deepest crossing?
With a little bit of route finding it can be done less than 2ft. Even where that group was crossing in 4+ feet of water, just tens of yards downstream they could have done it in 1-2 feet. Its the speed of the water that gives the risk. You see someone put one foot forward looking to make sure their step is going to be secure and their foot forward is in the top 1ft of water...and then they get rattled from losing stability.

Not all parts of the river allowed for easy crossings...there were parts where if someone was completely confounded and on the other side for who knows why, they probably had to backtrack....people just end up in the strangest places. Then there was the group starting to the bridge on the return trip with 3 max daylight hours left.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: Dang that looks cold. You gots to have your water don't you? :D

"jello legs ridge" aka "elvis legs"
Yup, cold...snowmelt cold...probably in the low 40s. Warm outside and not in the shade so it wasnt bad once you get used to it.

I dont need all that water...I promise :D I was just testing the camera out while its still under warranty :D