Just another ride up GMR, and a close call.

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I wanted to see what kinda time I could get doing backside downhill on my Cannondale, so I set off...

FWIW, backside is the northern section of GMR, where it splits off from Horse Canyon Saddle, where GMR and Glendora Ridge Road meet. When I had cars, I used to do some "spirited" driving up there (still do from time to time when I con someone out of their car), so it was nice to see what kinda time I could get downhill on a bicycle.

(mileage figures are gate-to-gate)

Went up Frontside (8.36mi) in 55:32. Timing starts at the bottom gate, and stops at the top gate at the saddle.

Backside downhill (4.86mi) was 9:18, about 4 minutes slower than a good time in a stock/non-prepared car.

Questions: 1. What's the average time it takes you guys to ride up Frontside? 2. What's the record?

Then went down East Fork in 25 min or so, to R39 where it was windy as hell so I was dragging proverbial ass the whole way down. Got to the bottom of R39 where the bike path starts/ends, jumped on that... very glad I did, because some ijjit was booking it up R39 towards me in a late model silver Toyota Camry going probably 75-80mph... I watched him and I knew he was going to understeer because of his line... dropped it in the dirt and I expected him to hit the berm and roll it a handful of times, but he spun it enough to get back on the tarmac, fly towards me at an alarming rate nearly hitting the blue Civic in front of me (who got the hell off the road without hitting me :-) ), didn't countersteer and thus the car whipped back towards the right side and he got MORE dirt-turbo time, whipped it out again, and drove off into the El Encanto Parking lot. The dude in the Civic talked to me, I reset the traffic cone the Camry assassinated, and Civic guy called Azusa PD. Etc etc, no ticket for the Camry since the cops didn't witness the incident, no accident, no injuries... only thing that bothered me was that Camry guy didn't apologize and ask if we were OK. That would have been the right thing to do, in my opinion.

In short, I know most folks who hike HATE fast drivers, or people who drive fast, but I'm not one of them. Auto racing is an integral part of my life. If you can go Mach 12 on GMR or wherever and do it SAFELY, then I'm OK with it. I know I can go "very fast" (relative term) in most anything with an engine and four wheels on these roads WITHOUT hurting anyone. You have to know how to drive, you have to be somewhat conservative, you have to be respectful, and you have to be honest. Do not drive outside your means.

I'm not trying to say it's OK to speed on the section of road he was on, but c'mon dude, you coulda taken that turn going much, much, MUCH faster without doing a dirt drop and nearly creaming a dude in a Civic, and then me on a Cannondale. I'm like a really tall insect when I'm riding this thing, you wouldn't have noticed me. You could take that damn turn going 100+ no problem if you had the line right... and you weren't texting and driving. Please don't text and drive... good lord...

Anywho... rant over, I guess. If you suck at driving, go slow/stay home.

Pics
At the saddle

Time

Bottom of backside. I stoled thurr AMGEN Stage 7 sign. I'm going to hell or something. There is still A LOT of trash on the sides of the road from the race. GO GREEN! ;-)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dang, dude, glad the timing worked out. Another split second... :shock:

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Dang, dude, glad the timing worked out. Another split second... :shock:

HJ
I live for that kinda shit, Jim.
obie

Post by obie »

Taco: Ferrari's site is useful. He'll also be a go-to guy for EPO.
http://www.53x12.com/do/show;jsessionid ... page=front

Climbers often use a 6% grade to measure speed/ altitude gained etc. (see Ferrari's stuff for explanation of "VAM". That's the term pro's use)

An amateur racer in the Cat 4 category ( entry level racer) would average about 11 MPH up GMR. A Cat 3 racer (top amateur) would be doing GMR at about 13-14 MPH.

The pro's blow all that away - they average 18-22 MPH on climbs like GMR.
The amateur race the week before the Tour (the Etape) was won in 4.21. Tinker Juarez and Thurlow Rogers (top local climbers) finished in around 4.25.

(That's up Baldy Rd/GRR, down East Fork, 39 into Azuza, over to Glendora, back up GMR and finish at lifts parking lot) About 71 miles and 10,800' of climbing.

The pros did same course last weekend in 3.33.

From where I was watching on the final straightaway at the Lifts - the two leaders (Horner and Leipheimer) were coming to the finish line at about 15 MPH on that stretch which is about 11%. They are mutants.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thanks Obie! I'll have to read up. That sounds fast. I'm guesstimating I do about 7mph average uphill... :-(
obie

Post by obie »

Eh, they get paid to ride their toys.

7 - 9 MPH is where most of us are on climbs like GMR. Don't underestimate yourself man, that is world-class stuff in the San Gabs. It's as hard, even harder in places, as what the pros see in Tour de France.

And we're not even talking about the Sierras. Onion Valley, Horseshoe Meadows, Whitney Portal, White Mountain - those are all harder than what the pros consider "HC" (hors de categorie (without category - the toughest). The Alps, Pyrennees aren't as high as the Sierras. Mountaintop finishes above 7K' are rare in the big Euro races. 10K finishes are not uncommon in Sierras. Much more demanding.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Bout 90% of all Toyota owners I have ever met are douchebags who cant drive for shit.(push it too far past there skill level, just like you were sayin!) And Ive met a LOT of Toyota drivers at track events n car meets, if theres a wreck on the track, 9 times outa ten its a Toyota driver. The celica guys are the worst, they shouldnt even have a license.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

LOL

Hey, I've owned a couple Toyotas. :-( Better than Scion kids on GMR who think they've got a racecar.