Red Box to Eaton Saddle 5/22

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Tom S

Post by Tom S »

I started down the Gabrielino Trail from Red Box. The trail to Valley Forge is a little rough, but easy to follow as the canyon portion is heavily flagged. There is some fire damage evident in the West Fork Canyon, but most of the trees survived. I passed a youth group returning from an overnight backpack. Just past the Valley Forge Trail junction, past the campground, the Gabrielino Trail becomes heavily overgrown.

I then turned uphill on the Valley Forge Trail towards Eaton Saddle. This trail has not been worked on yet, but can be done with a little log hopping and bushwhacking here and there. I had the trail all to myself on a pleasant Sunday afternoon. Parts of the upper trail are being invaded by some type of plant that has sticky leaves with a rubbery feel - I assume that is some sort of invasive species. At Eaton Saddle, there is large sign indicating that the Mount Lowe Fire Road towards San Gabriel Peak is still closed.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the trail info.

I bet the Mt. Lowe Fire Road from Eaton Saddle towards San Gabriel Peak is still closed because they haven't fixed the land slide at the west end of Mueller Tunnel yet. Anyone seen any information about the slide at the tunnel???