Mt. Waterman Trails (from Buckhorn or Three Points)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Are these areas likely covered in snow right now? I know there are two trails going up to Waterman, does one of them get more sun exposure than the other?

I'm assuming a call to the ski resort might give better info.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Waterman tops out at 8000', so I would think that it wouldn't be too bad. However, I haven't been up since mid February, so my info is an educated guess. It is N facing and shady, so you would definitely have patches, potentially icy ones.

There's really only one trail (that I know about) to the top although you can follow the ski area service road and that will also get you to the top. You can take the trail over from Three Points, but that eventually joins up with the main trail that comes up from the Buckhorn area. A note about the trailhead: The official trailhead is poorly laid out. Drive further east, maybe 100 - 200 yards, and look for a yellow gate on your right. Park in the vicinity (with out blocking) of the yellow gate. Hike up the dirt road that the yellow gate is on. In maybe 50 yds, you'll see the Waterman trail heading off to the left. You can either take the trail or continue on the road which is the service road to the ski area.

The Twin Peaks are lower than Waterman, but the approach is from the N, so you probably would have some patches. The route is quite steep. You probably would do just fine, but either be prepared to turn back or bring ice axe and crampons.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Hi, I went out to the desert near Victorville on Saturday to ride my quad and along the way I had excellent views of the north facing slopes of the San Gabriel's. I was pleasently suprised to see alot of snow still covering most of the middle high country from Baden Powell to Mount Isilp. I couldn't get a good view of Mount Waterman, but Mount Islip still appeared to have a lot of snow, and I think but I'm not 100% sure that I could see snow on the Kratka Ridge so I would definitly expect some snow if not alot still up on Waterman, especially in the shaded areas.
Here are two pictures I took from the 15 fwy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24141711@N ... 352592069/
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thanks for those pics, Brian.
cmachler

Post by cmachler »

According to the Waterman ski area's website, they're closed for the season, which I'm assuming is due to poor snow coverage.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Waterman hasn't been operated in the last several years although I think they did open a few days this year.
cmachler

Post by cmachler »

I think Waterman was open for four or five weekend this year. Apparently, they're replacing/repairing a lot of the infrastructure.

www.skiwaterman.com
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

According to Wikipedia,
February 16, 2008 was the official re-opening day of Mt. Waterman. Over 200 persons were in attendance. Chairs 1 and 2 were operational; Chair 3 was still being dug out from recent snow fall. The Metcalfs, other owners and press were in attendance, as well as former owner Lynn Newcomb.

The resort operated for approximately 5 weeks on a limited, weekend schedule (Saturdays and Sundays), closing in mid-March 2008.
Mt. Waterman Web page
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

A few of us are heading up to Twin Peaks and Waterman this weekend starting at Three Points and exiting at Buckhorn. I will give an update when we get back. But if anyone has any idea of current conditions, please post.

Thanks
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I'm very interested in the conditions on that exact route too.

I'm just guessing but I would expect some snow (not sure how much though) on the north side of Twin and perhaps in the shady areas between Buckhorn and the saddle. The trail from Three Points to the saddle I would expect to be snow free given its southern exposure.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Yes if it is feasible I would like to do this as soon as the following weekend, I haven't done this hike yet.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:I'm very interested in the conditions on that exact route too.

I'm just guessing but I would expect some snow (not sure how much though) on the north side of Twin and perhaps in the shady areas between Buckhorn and the saddle. The trail from Three Points to the saddle I would expect to be snow free given its southern exposure.
I think HikeUp has it about right. If things were really nasty as you started to climb the Twins, you could just bail and head out to the trailhead at Buckhorn. If the traverse were ugly from the the S face of Waterman over to the E and then the N face, there are other options. That traverse has some steep drop offs and would be ugly were it icy -- which 99% chance it won't be. If however it were nasty, you could go up over the top and come down the ski area service road which eventually joins up with the Waterman trail. Actually, the road head is in a better position than the trailhead near Buckhorn. I usually start my hikes/skis/snowshoes at the road head and then turn left when I hit the hiking trail.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Mike P wrote:A few of us are heading up to Twin Peaks and Waterman this weekend starting at Three Points and exiting at Buckhorn. I will give an update when we get back.
I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation!!! :D
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Not much snow left that I could see while driving on highway 2, except for a few large patchs in shaded areas........Looks like it will be completly snow free pretty soon!!!!! 8)
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I'm dying to know too.

Local hikes for Waterman hike has an update:

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Waterma ... n_4472.asp

No update since late March for up to Twin Peaks

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/TwinPeaks_4472.asp

I'm not familiar with these trails, if its okay up to Waterman, what about the trail between Waterman & Twin Peaks?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JMunaretto wrote:I'm dying to know too.

Local hikes for Waterman hike has an update:

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Waterma ... n_4472.asp

No update since late March for up to Twin Peaks

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/TwinPeaks_4472.asp

I'm not familiar with these trails, if its okay up to Waterman, what about the trail between Waterman & Twin Peaks?
The twin peaks trail has a lot of northern exposure and is fairly steep. Ice would be a bad thing there, if you encountered it and didn't have equipment. However, it's all below 8000'. I think you'd be fine heading up there now. If you did encounter icy stuff, you'd have to turn back or detour, but you probably wouldn't given the current conditions; it'd be more like patchy spring snow.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I'm willing to give Buckhorn to Twin Peaks a try this Saturday. With a side trip to Waterman. Group hike!!!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I'm intrigued. The Three Points trail portion that appears in some hiking lit appears longer so not as steep, is it nice? Or is it better just doing an up and down from Buckhorn?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

The trail from three points is interesting. It goes through some interesting rock formations. It's pretty much south facing. Mostly manzanita and buck thorn as I recall until you get closer to the junction with the Twin Peaks trail. Probably better on a non-hot day. Pretty exposed.

Coming from Buckhorn is far shorter and easier, but also far shadier and more scenic, with many sizeable conifers. Almost feels like a different hike.

Top of Waterman is kind of rolly polly, little mounds here and there, forested knobs. Not a distinct, apical summit. Very popular hike. Can descend via ski area service road if you want to make a loop. Good XC ski area up top, when there's good snow.

Twin peaks, it's been a while, but I remember that it was steep and rocky. The trail goes down to the Waterman-Twin saddle, and then climbs a bit but peters out into a use trail. Forested on the N face of the twins. Can't remember how good the views were which may mean they weren't that good. Do remember seeing a small flock of Big Horn Sheep on the N face of the Twins. Once you leave the Three Points - Waterman trail, you get the sense that you're in a far less visited, far more wild place. A very cool feeling if you ask me. :)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I agree with Jim's take on the difference between starting at 3 points vs Buckhorn. Trail from 3 points to the saddle has great views of Devils Canyon.

On a Sunday in October of 2005 I did a round trip from 3-points to east twin and back and saw no one. Absolutely no one. Me, some birds and a squirrel or two. Nice.

I think it was about 13-14 miles round trip with less than 3000' gain. Trip from Buckhorn to Twin (which I haven't done yet) is about 8 miles and 3600' gain - more if you throw in Waterman too.
drinkingbuddy

Post by drinkingbuddy »

Anyone know what the current conditions are on that trail? From what I remember it's pretty much on the south facing side of the mountain. I'm thinking of heading up there before the next cold storm rolls in.
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

south facing snow free until near the saddle i bet

if ya do, please post up TR?

thinking about backpacking maybe near the waterman/ twin peaks saddle. i forget how far it is from the last stream (or- any flat enuff bivy spots near the last stream...?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

drinkingbuddy wrote:Anyone know what the current conditions are on that trail? From what I remember it's pretty much on the south facing side of the mountain. I'm thinking of heading up there before the next cold storm rolls in.
3T's to Mt. Waterman? Hunh? The 3T's that I know about are between Baldy/Harwood and Ice House Saddle.

Do you mean Three Points to Mt. Waterman? If so, yes, that trail is on the south face. Probably free of snow, but not 100% sure. There is one steep traverse on the SE side of Mt. Waterman before you start heading down to Angeles Crest Hwy. If that were icy, that would be bad, but you could bypass it by going over the summit and coming down the service road (assuming you're exiting at Mt. Waterman and not just doing an out and back from Three Points). You can make a loop out of the trip by exiting at ACH from Mt. Waterman, walking to Cloudbusrst Summit, and taking the PCT back to Three Points. The only reason I don't suggest taking the PCT all the way is that the PCT drops down to Cooper Canyon and then climbs right back up to ACH.

HJ
drinkingbuddy

Post by drinkingbuddy »

Uh yeah, that's it. Duh. :oops:

Corrected title...
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Hey folks --

Looking for a short trip up in the snow to try our my Yak Trax -- Would Buckhorn to Waterman (Trip 60 Trails of the Angeles) be doable. It seems to be a regularly frequented trail. I hike to the top then run down one of the roads. Think it's relatively safe?
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

which yaktrax? the new xtr with the anti snow plates, or the regular rubber ones with metal rings around the base?
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Illusive wrote: which yaktrax? the new xtr with the anti snow plates, or the regular rubber ones with metal rings around the base?
Not extreme ---- AND I found out today that the SNOW was way too deep. Oh well. It was a nice drive.

ACH closed just beyond Waterman ---- Road not plowed :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the update Shreddy!
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

So no work for me tomorrow and I want to test out my Yak Trax on Waterman tomorrow (Thursday) / from ACH. Still too deep? Appreciate any updates on conditions.

Happy Trails- Shreddy :?:
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I'd bring a backup to the Yak Trak

I used a pair to hike to the harwood ski hut and they where done.