BackPacking with a dog

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Migolito

Post by Migolito »

Hello all,
I realize this topic can be controversial, however, it's not intended to be. I have a new Brittany puppy who will be accompanying me on some of my hikes and overnighters, mostly S-Cal. I'd like to hear about experiences both good and bad, that you have had. Everything from animal encounters to bad people encounters, access to trails, etc.

Thank you,

M
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

We put booties on the mutt. You must have these for any lengthy trip. Be prepared to hear, "HOW CUTE BOOOOOTIES" at least once a mile.

White Blaze has a good forum for backpacking with dogs: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=439
simonov

Post by simonov »

You should take your puppy out as soon and as much as possible so his feet get toughened up. Then he won't need booties. However, you should always carry booties, for emergencies. I have heard about people carrying their dogs out of the wilderness. Not fun. The booties are also useful when walking on hot asphalt roads or parking lots in the middle of summer.

Listen to your dog when he is trying to tell you something! Most dogs will stop on the trail and lay down when they are tired. Let him rest. But not all dogs will; many will keep going until they drop, so try to be aware of how your dog is feeling. With the puppy, be prepared to carry him for extended periods, or just take him on shorter hikes (I am trying to devise a sort of sling I can use to carry a tired puppy against my chest).

Dogs are permitted on trails in National Forests, as long as they are on a leash. This is reasonable, it's actually for the safety of the dog. I once watched two Dalmatians chase a roadrunner right into a patch of cholla cactus. It took days to get all the barbs out of those dog's faces.

And of course, you should pick up after your dog. You would expect people needn't be told to do that, but sadly they do.

Dogs' thermal regulation is not as efficient as humans'. Our bodies cool through evaporation of sweat. Dogs attempt the same thing, only through their lungs (by panting). So be very solicitous of your dog's comfort in hot weather. If you are uncomfortably hot, your dog is probably feeling even worse. Remember, heat can kill dogs. A member of the OCHC lost her dog this way a couple years ago.

So the corollary of that is to make sure your dog has plenty of water available. It's a little easier on you if you get a pack for your dog so he can carry his own food and water, but however you do it bring plenty of water for your dog, and offer it to him frequently. I have a set of these neat little collapsing nylon bowls I can clip to my pack so it's very easy to just pour a little water into one any time I think the dog is thirsty.

It's really insane how many people take their dogs into the backcountry without providing adequate water.

At night, I prefer to keep the dog in a tent, to minimize temptations to explore. Bring a small Z-Lite pad for the dog to sleep on.

Winter is tricky. Dogs get cold at night. We might be snug and warm in our down sleeping bags, but it's way too cold for a dog to be comfortable without some kind of insulation. I'm still working on this one. Last time I had a dog up overnight in winter conditions he shivered miserably most of the night, even though he was wearing a thermal shirt with the sleeves cut off.

Nunc est bibendum
Migolito

Post by Migolito »

I appreciate the replys. I'm looking at the Ruff Wear Approach pack on line. However, I'm not sure if the 'against the skin' section is made of mesh or is otherwise breathable. Has anyone used this pack?
everyday

Post by everyday »

Thats a cool looking doggie Simonov
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Great tips/things to think on - I've often considered getting a dog down the road when I'm settled in that's used to colder conditions for a hiking buddy. I wouldn't drag him along on true mountaineering trips, though.

"Climb that 5th class face, Jackson"

"I can't, I have paws"

TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Ah, my new favorite subject! I have a 9 month old weimeriner, Talus. She made her 3rd Baldy summit last Sunday, and I feel bad that I didn't have her wind jacket on. With regards to booties, I've been told by a very knowledgeable source that the booties are needed in summer when the granite dust can dry out and crack their paw pads. I have to get Talus some booties and hope she wears them. You cannot bring a dog on many of my favorite hiking places, but there are many places that you can. My latest fear is the rattlesnake equation. I don't want her getting bit. Anyhow, yes I do have to leave her with a dog sitter when I go places and yes the costs add up, it's a (doggie) lifetime commitment, and sadly, they don't lead very long lives. Lots to think about. Migalito, REI has a really nice pack (REI brand). I liked the features much better than the Ruff Wear pack. JMHO.

simonov

Post by simonov »

Burchey wrote: "Climb that 5th class face, Jackson"

"I can't, I have paws"
Dogs have built-in crampons.
Nunc est bibendum
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

simonov wrote: Dogs have built-in crampons.
Yeah, but they're hinged and don't front-point well.
Migolito

Post by Migolito »

***Off topic alert***javascript:emoticon(':D')
Unfortunately, rattlesnakes are a way of life in our area from April-ish to November-ish. I've done three things in the past. 1. I had the Vet inoculate with anti-venom (redrock), 2. I have always had my dogs snake avoidance trained, and 3. they stay outside in my back yard often where they get first hand experience with snakes. The first time my first Brittany went hunting he came upon a Mojave green and reacted correctly-undoubtedly saving his life. That night, he found another 5' pacific in my back yard...again, another save.

Pup arrives tomorrow, so, I'll be seeing you on the trails. Look for a white and orange Brittany with an as yet to be determined dog pack.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Migolito wrote: Pup arrives tomorrow, so, I'll be seeing you on the trails. Look for a white and orange Brittany with an as yet to be determined dog pack.
Do you have a name for the pooch yet? How about Taco the Dog? :wink:
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

The title of this thread really gave me paws. :D
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

That's ruff.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Migolito wrote: ...I have always had my dogs snake avoidance trained....
i've heard about that. great idea! do it with Talus, Tracie. :D
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

The mere mention of the word "hike" sends my dogs into a tizzy!

I've taken every dog I've ever had hiking. I had one ditch his pack on a high sierra trip. I had to backtrack about a half mile to retrieve it. Had another pup who fell off the trail above the Kings River into the biggest patch of poison oak you've ever seen (I wound up covered from head to toe and nearly went insane from the itching). Half the joy for me is seeing how much fun they have on any given outing.

Simonov, your post is excellent. Every dog owner should read that. On hot days my pooches hike from one spot of shade to the next. They both know how to drink directly from my camelback and I also carry a collapsable bowl. I try not to do anything with too much exposure when hiking with them during the summer.

Rattlesnakes are a definite cause for concern. We also have our dogs vaccinated and last year it saved the little one's life. We were hiking in the Verdugo's and had stopped at a table on a little mesa next to a red leaf bush. We didn't see it happen, but we heard the snake's rattle go off (big snake) and little Ozzy came around the bush shaking his head. I searched for the snake but couldn't find it and I couldn't locate where the bite was (he's pretty fuzzy) but he was acting strange enough that we picked up our gear and started for the car. We got him to the emergency pet hospital in less than an hour and, sure enough, he had been bitten on the chin. Now this is a dog that maybe weighs 10-pounds soaking wet. The cost for treatment including antivenin was over 12-hundred bucks, payable in advance, with no guarantee of success. He is like my wife's third child, so we re-purposed the funds and he spent the night in the hospital. In two days, he was walking around like nothing ever happened to him! No necrosis, no side effects, just a couple of little spots on his chin. He's one tough little dude.

Maggie, our big dog (the "Golden PooPaw") can't do the big long hikes anymore. She's 11 and the last time I took her to Baden Powell via Islip Saddle, she slept for 3-days. But I took her on a 2-night trip to Hoagee's last year and she had a great time, made friends with several campers and shared salami with me around the campfire. When she was a pup, and soon after we got her, we were camping at Mammoth. We arrived late so my wife and kids slept in the car while Maggie and I slept under the stars. I awoke to the ferocious barking of what sounded like a very large dog, only to discover it was my 6-month old pup doing her best to intimidate a bear the size of a car lumbering through camp!

Here's a shot of my little pals:

TracieB

Post by TracieB »

[quote="Migolito:35135 I have always had my dogs snake avoidance trained...... Look for a white and orange Brittany with an as yet to be determined dog pack.[/quote]

Can you tell me where you had them trained? I need to do that with Talus. Oh, and I bought her a pack at REI yesterday. She wants NOTHING to do with it. Of course, why would she when she knows that I'll carry everything for her??? :?
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

robnokshus wrote: We also have our dogs vaccinated and last year it saved the little one's life.
Nice post and pix! So, did you have your dogs vaccinated for both the Mojave and the Pacific rattlesnake? May I ask where and how much? I'm really concerned Talus will get bit since she is a hunting breed.

Thank you!
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

So, did you have your dogs vaccinated for both the Mojave and the Pacific rattlesnake? May I ask where and how much?
I don't know if there are 2-different vaccines. All I know is that they received "Rattlesnake" vaccinations. That would be a good question to ask the vet. They got their last shots at Best Care Pet Clinic (Dr. Tang) in Glendale. The shots were $16. Well worth it
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Yes they are two different anti-venoms so I assume 2 different vaccines. The Mojave venom attacks the nervous system and the Pacific venom attacks the cardiac system. Most vets will not administer the Mojave venom if your dog gets bit UNLESS you have the snake w/you that bit said dog. It's expensive. :x

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get Talus vaccinated. will try to find a snake class for her later...
Migolito

Post by Migolito »

Rattle snake vaccination: google Red Rock biologics. I personally spoke, at length, with the doctor/vet who invented this product and she is truly the subject matter expert. My Vet in Upland, Ken Tudor, (909)982-3288 gives the vaccine and he has extensive experience with 'outside' dogs and knows the product well. Go to the Red Rock website and it will answer many of your questions. Also, ask your vet about in-field first aid you can use for snake bites.

Rattle snake clinic: I use Quail Unlimited (again google) They offer clinics all over.They are very, very good at the avoidance training. There is a right way to do this!! and when done right it will save puppys life. When done wrong, well, whats the point. For instance, QU uses real alive rattle snakes.

BTW, I've contacted Granite Gear re a design for a Dog Pack specifically made for hot weather and they were very receptive. I'll keep all advised.

3.5 hours before pup and I meet! I'm usually not such a kid.