4-24-11 Baldy Bowl (Did not go well) Pics

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Logan

Post by Logan »

Here is my story:

I got a bit of a late start on Sunday. The weather was overcast in OC but I figured I could climb above the clouds and have a perfect day. I was right for while.

Here is what 9 am looked like at Manker... clear and awesome. Notice I am smiling.

So up the mountain I go But I have the strange feeling I am being followed.

But Onward I press because I can see the bowl so clearly and perfect just calling my name... "Hey Dumbass come up here"

At this point I am really noticing the clouds coming in hard.

And by the time I got to the hut, this is what I see.

The Bowl is completely socked in and clouds are all around with visibility dropping fast and the wind picking up. That should have been enough for me to turn around and head out... but no. Up I go.

So I put on my gear and head up through the boulder field to the very left side of the bowl where the only real snow is. Notice I am still somewhat smiling.

Well everyone else was heading up the summer trail which is what I should have done. But no. As I emerge from the boulder field I could not see anything visibility was only 25 meters or so. I decide I am going to wait a while for it to clear out. So in 15 minutes or so the sun peaks through and I go for it.

So about halfway up the slope my visibility drops again and I cant see anything. But I know I am going the right way as long as I am going up, right?
No Longer smiling...

So I finally decided to turn back and head down. I was not happy I did not summit and here is the exact moment I realized that was not in the cards. Really not smiling.

I started down the mountain.

Notice I am almost smiling again.

Lessons learned:

1. I need to realize sooner when I should not go on.
2. I probably should not solo mountaineer / hike anymore
3. All my friends have kids now and cant hike anymore (need to get new friends). This will solve #2
4. Check the weather before I leave not matter what month it is.
Madrox

Post by Madrox »

Why dont you like hiking by yourself?
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Sorry your trip didn't go as planned, but that's the way it usually goes in them hills - not as planned. One bit of advice, don't be like me with leaving the ice-axe guard on, that's so 2009 =)

https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=3367

Solo trips can be a blast, but as I'm learning, it often requires a little more preparation and precaution, safety-wise.
Logan

Post by Logan »

Madrox wrote: Why dont you like hiking by yourself?
In somewhat risky situations it is better to have a buddy with you. If I am just on a trail hike that is one thing. But I think I would just feel safer to hike/climb with others in case something goes wrong.

I do like to be self sufficient very much. Hiking alone seems almost the opposite of being self sufficient. Especially on Baldy. The way I am starting to view it, if you are alone then you are relying on other people on the mountain to help you if you have a problem like a fall. Bringing someone that has your back seems like a more self sufficient decision to me. But I hike alone all the time so what the heck do I know?
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Sweet. Trip reports that involve bailing before the summit are often more interesting. So . . . thanks for not summiting!
everyday

Post by everyday »

Logan wrote:

Lessons learned:

3. All my friends have kids now and cant hike anymore (need to get new friends).
Yeah. Same here, they cant go ANYwhere! Having kids seems to be like being on parole....cant drink, cant shoot, cant leave the county...
Logan

Post by Logan »

everyday wrote:
Logan wrote:

Lessons learned:

3. All my friends have kids now and cant hike anymore (need to get new friends).
Yeah. Same here, they cant go ANYwhere! Having kids seems to be like being on parole....cant drink, cant shoot, cant leave the county...
LOL... then perhaps we should be friends. I do all of the above on a regular basis.
Marty

Post by Marty »

I'm down to hike with you dude. I live in OC as well, Orange in fact.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Whiteouts on Baldy are always fun. Once you get to know the mountain really well, it's a good test of land navigation skills.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Logan wrote: All my friends have kids now and cant hike anymore (need to get new friends).
Hell, I thought the whole reason for having kids was guaranteed hiking partners. Worked for me. 8)
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

lets here for the solo people yea :D .....doing a saturday nite hike this weekend...next time bring compass and if you feel like it keep going...

As kurt W. told me a few years ago "weathers weather"...

mark
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi Logan,
I am very happy that you made a right decision to turn around. The weather is very changeable at Mt. Baldy. I hike alone or with other friends all season.
I have a few rules for hiking. I try to remember all unique feature of rocks or all dead trees on the trail. All unique land marks will help you when you got lost or be in near white-out situation. Another rule is to add minimum 2 hours of extra time to the trip if you want to get help with sunlight, especially in winter. In case something happens, it will take minimum 2-4 hours to get any help. So, I never start late.

Good luck on your next Mt. Baldy hike.

Shin
Logan

Post by Logan »

Marty wrote: I'm down to hike with you dude. I live in OC as well, Orange in fact.
I am down Marty. I usually try to go every weekend. I live near glassell and 22. I am still trying to decide where to go this weekend?

Logan
Logan

Post by Logan »

snmtbaldy wrote: Hi Logan,
I am very happy that you made a right decision to turn around. The weather is very changeable at Mt. Baldy. I hike alone or with other friends all season.
I have a few rules for hiking. I try to remember all unique feature of rocks or all dead trees on the trail. All unique land marks will help you when you got lost or be in near white-out situation. Another rule is to add minimum 2 hours of extra time to the trip if you want to get help with sunlight, especially in winter. In case something happens, it will take minimum 2-4 hours to get any help. So, I never start late.

Good luck on your next Mt. Baldy hike.

Shin
Thanks Shin, I appreciate the info.
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

You made the right decision and good decisionmaking is the number one skill for a solo hiker.
I hike solo 99 % of the time. I am not anti-social or anything, but I enjoy the peace and quiet of being alone outdoors. That's were I find solitude.
I often hike on weekdays and I don't like to wait for anyone, so it's difficult to find a compatible hiking partner.
I had a few close calls, lost in a white out, climbing down a canyon to nowhere and having to climb back up etc., but I always made it out on my own. As a solo hiker you have to take more pre-cautions, be better prepared and have to make the right decisions. I always leave a note outlining my plans for the day incl. trailhead and targeted mountains. As a concession to my wife I also bought a GPS with a SPOT attachment, just in case.
secondlizard

Post by secondlizard »

Actually the trip did go well. You were smart enough to turn around. The mountain will still be there next week. I had to help 2 people down from the top of the bowl in a white out about a week ago. The said "We thought we should turn around but we had a map". They just didn't have a gps, compass, or know the area, and later I found out they didn't really know how to read the map. If you are not comfortable turn around.