Timber Mtn via Icehouse Canyon 04-27-11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

Went for a cool mountain day up to Timber via Icehouse canyon. I wanted to get out of the heat in the valley today and it worked out great.

Hit the trail around 11:00 with temps in the low 70's at the bottom of Icehouse canyon.

With all the snowmelt the stream was a raging river, the highest I've seen it. The trail was also washed out before the split to Cedar Glen so a new path follows a short diversion down to the streamside and back up to the main trail. Nothing major maybe 20 yards or so.

I also saw an abundance of springs/streams/creeks that I did not see last year even with snowmelt. Here's a vid about half way up just past columbine spring of one of the waterfalls.

I made good time to the saddle. I wasn't rushing and was just enjoying the cool mountain air, soaking up the relaxing breeze and enjoying the views. Took a short break at the saddle, and started up to timber.

From timber you can see just how much snow is still on bighorn, cucamonga, and ontario. Theres so much more snow than is visible on the southern facing slopes, which look devoid of any snow when viewing from the valley.

This is a stark contrast to Telegraph and Thunder as seen here which look quite dooable with very little visible snow from the saddle up.

A shot of baldy poking through the snow and tree's atop Timber:

and Finally a panorama atop Timber:

All the pics can be found via the everytrail link:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1063374
everyday

Post by everyday »

Sweet! Ima be in that IceHouse canyon area in a few days, looks cool (ive never been there b4) :D
Marty

Post by Marty »

Awesome. I was wondering what that area was looking like, I've never been there before either. I gotta get out there soon.
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Illusive wrote: This is a stark contrast to Telegraph and Thunder as seen here which look quite dooable with very little visible snow from the saddle up.

I summited Telegraph on Saturday (the 23rd) and there is still a ton of snow on the approach, just cannot see it from Timber Mtn. At one point I post-holed almost to my waist! Deeper snow than Cucamonga Peak in fact.
I also saw some skiers on Thunder Mtn and that is a bit lower.