Muir, Telegraph & Cucamonga Peaks

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Monday the 18th, I got tired of being cooped up inside watching the dreary scene outside. So I tossed my gear into my 6 year old trustee day pack and drove up to the top of Lake Ave. I cruised up Echo Mountain trail in good time, the mist drifting up the mountains was beautiful and by the 5th or 6th switchback I was in the thick of the cloud cover.

Not sure what tributary this is, doesn't look like it flows very much

At the "top" I dropped onto the Castle Creek Trail. The brush hasn't been cut back in awhile and within a few minutes I was drenched from all the dripping wet bushes growing over the trail.

It was raining fairly good up there so I did not take many photos, glad I got this one.

I made it all the way up to Muir Peak, but due to the cloud cover there was nothing to look at. Still it was a cool peak and I bet on a clear day the views are amazing!

9.5 miles round trip
4 hours car to car

Then on Saturday the 23rd I woke up at 4:15am, ate breakfast and drove to Ice House Canyon. I started hiking a little before 5:30am by headlamp but after hiking for about 10 minutes I realized I left my sunglasses in the car and had to turn around. Doh! The trail up to the Saddle felt like it floated by...

Sunrise just past Ice House Saddle

...and before I knew it I was postholing my way to Cucamonga Saddle.

Lazy clouds floating through the sky from the Cucamonga Saddle - it was crazy windy up there!

There is still a fair amount of snow on the NW slope of Cucamonga Peak...

Primo conditions for a little mountaineering

In a few spots the snow was still solid ice and I had to chop steps with my ice axe. Awesome!

Cool rock bridge on the ridgeline!

I ate 2nd breakfast on the summit of Cucamonga Peak and took a nap on a perfect rock.

Looking east...

Looking south...

On the way down I came across a group of 4 guys, who seemed to be very appreciative of my kicked steps :D They were going to head up to Bighorn Peak and then Ontario Peak, after summiting Cucamonga. On the way down I decided it was way to early and I felt to "fresh" to go home so I decided to go for Telegraph Peak.
Phew! That is butt kicker of a trail.

View from the Timber/Telegraph Saddle

About 1 mile from the summit the trail disappeared under snow and once again I found myself kicking steps straight uphill (at least this time the snow was softer).

I ate lunch on the summit of Telegraph Peak & soaked in the views...

Looking down the steep West Face of Telegraph - didn't Taco climb this a few months back?

My favorite photo from the trip.

...and then went back the way I came. I ran out of water on the summit so the whole hike back I had no water. At Ice House Saddle I ran into the same 4 guys I had seen on the way up Cucamonga Peak, they too had taken a nap on the summit and had forgone the rest of their adventure. I borrowed 2 Ibuprofen from them, as I had gotten a ragging headache on Telegraph Peak. I refilled my water reserves at Columbine Spring...

Mmmm... Water!

...and headed home!

Total Mileage was about 16.5 miles (I forgot to track the leg from Ice House Saddle to Cucamonga Peak - so I guessed about 2 miles one way). Also a bit longer than normal due to my turn around to get my sunglasses.

Time - 10 hours and 15 minutes :P
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

I was up Castle Canyon on April 7th and saw the same waterfall / drainage. Haven't ever seen it up there before too. Took a short vid here:

Glad to see it was still running / falling for your trip.

The pics from Cucamonga and Timber look great. Looks like you have a great trip.
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Wow, that waterfall has been flowing for quite some time!

Cucamonga & Telegraph were the last mountains, that you can access directly from Ice House, I needed to do. Now it is time to move onto another area... Say west of Baldy :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Looking down the steep West Face of Telegraph - didn't Taco climb this a few months back?
Tim L, John Q, myself and Fritz have climbed it this season, as far as folks I know go.
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

It sure looks like a fun winter ascent, I think I'm gonna do it next season.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It's arright, better than Baldy Bowl, safer than Baldy Bowl.
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Interesting that you would say that seeing that Baldy gets summited a couple hundred times a week and Telegraph not nearly as much.

Why do you say it is safer? Less crowds maybe?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

rokclimbr wrote: Interesting that you would say that seeing that Baldy gets summited a couple hundred times a week and Telegraph not nearly as much.

Why do you say it is safer? Less crowds maybe?
If I had to guess he means less "rockfall" on Telegraph versus badly bowl - the bowl get's much more and more climbers up above causing some of it, if you look at the base of baldy bowl all those "boulders" in the "rock garden" came from above - and our "fearless leader" Taco has been hit by a few :shock: :( so he knows the risks and the dangers.

Just my guess as to what he means.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Tele's NWF gets much less sun than the Bowl. Less sun, less heat, less rockfall. It's much more quiet on that face than in the Bowl. I've been on it many times and it's always been safer than the same day/conditions/temps in the Bowl.