Mt. Lowe: 03-29-2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Posting this TR just so I can show the picture below. Started at Lake Ave. and hiked up to Mt. Lowe via Castle Canyon Trail. No snow left on the north side of Lowe except one small patch that can be side stepped. Flowers are nice below about 3500' elevation - hardly any above that for some reason.

Saw this in the middle of the Mt. Lowe fire road near the Idlehour trail head. A definite "huh?"...

Ok, one more pic - the always cool Granite Gate...
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Awesome!

I was up on Mt. Lowe Saturday as well. Started out at Redbox, hiked up San Gabriel Peak Trail to, surprisingly, San Gabriel Peak, then down to Markham Saddle and on to Mt. Lowe, then to Mt. Markham, and back. Nice little hike.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice day up above the clouds wasn't it? Was there any ice/snow on the north side of San Gabriel Peak? I ran into a group of 3 on Mt. Lowe who had started at RedBox also (guy, 2 gals).

I forgot to mention, as I was nearing Granite Gate, there was a guy hiking up the road in your normal day hiking gear/outfit with one additional piece of gear...a magazine...which he was completely engrossed in reading and seemed to not notice me until I got very close at which point he seemed a bit surprised. "hello." "hello." Back to reading and walking. Something new everyday!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I don't approve of such behavior; you miss too much of the good scenery. I limit my magazine reading to white out conditions. Pretty much nothing to see then anyway. Or when I'm belaying someone. :wink:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hikin_Jim wrote:I don't approve of such behavior; you miss too much of the good scenery. I limit my magazine reading to white out conditions. Pretty much nothing to see then anyway. Or when I'm belaying someone. :wink:
I think you've belayed me before.

Rawr...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

*head about to explode*
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

*puts copywrite on exploding heads*
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

There was only a little bit of snow right below the peak in 2 locations 6 ft long, nothing problematic.

Yeah had a great view of Mt. Lowe peaking up above the clouds from the saddle between San Gabriel pk and Mt Disappointment, but sadly missed on the joker reading a magazine!