Baldy Ski Hut

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Anyone that wants to meet at Manker Flats tomorrow at 9AM, I'll be strolling up to the ski Hut with my niece tomorrow, she's here from Michigan on Spring Break - see you there :D
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

If you don't mind post an update on the snow coverage above the hut and thru the trees.I'm heading up on Saturday with a buddy and were gonna try to boot all the way to the summit.
Appreciate it if you can!
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Niece?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol:

Have fun, Mr. P.

HJ
Jimmy H

Post by Jimmy H »

I was up the hut/bowl trail last Friday (4/15). There was snow from the hut on up. I saw quite a few folks using crampons most of the way. I went mid-day and the snow was definitely consolidated and soft enough to not need an axe or crampons. I did not use either. I won't advocate any particular style as your mileage my vary...
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

The three young ladies did fine. Only one wanted to continue past the hut so Bryan and I took her up the south bowl which still has some coverage but is melting fast. The snow is a mix of slush on the surface about three inches deep, with consolidated snow underneath. Post holing is to be expected here and there. Patchy from there to summit. Early morning is going to be slicker than what we found at 11AM.

Kicking in steps was easy any earlier and I would have used crampons. Be safe and enjoy :D